X

For those who have done the Bandit / SV Chain Adjuster Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have done the Bandit / SV Chain Adjuster Swap

From what I've read both the Bandit 600 and 1st gen SV650 Chain adjusters will work on the Kat. (I know the SV parts need modified a bit to fit in the swing arm.)

It also seems both the Bandit and SV both have a larger diameter axle than the Kat, so the adjusters a bit bigger of course. (Where the axle passes through).

Is there any downside to this extra "play" that will be there?

I'm gathering parts to replace my chain / sprockets so I was going to replace the adjusters as well.

From everything I've seen I can't see the bigger diameter adjusters being a big deal...as they don't really support the wheel...they just allow for adjusting chain tension.

Any feedback?

Some people have had spacers made. I'm just extra careful when adjusting the chain.

Graham makes some pretty nice adjuster plates too....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
      From what I've read both the Bandit 600 and 1st gen SV650 Chain adjusters will work on the Kat. (I know the SV parts need modified a bit to fit in the swing arm.)

It also seems both the Bandit and SV both have a larger diameter axle than the Kat, so the adjusters a bit bigger of course. (Where the axle passes through).

Is there any downside to this extra "play" that will be there?

I'm gathering parts to replace my chain / sprockets so I was going to replace the adjusters as well.

From everything I've seen I can't see the bigger diameter adjusters being a big deal...as they don't really support the wheel...they just allow for adjusting chain tension.

Any feedback?
      It was my understanding that parts were being chosen and mixed to match the axle size.

The bandit adjuster mod is to swap out the aluminum end caps/plates, but use the Katana internals. RF600 end caps would work the same way. This offered you a stronger end cap to prevent the issues with the thin steel cap being pulled into the swingarm but still matches the 17mm axle.

For better asthetic reasons, to hide the bolt inside the swingarm as well, the SV 1st gen adjusters are 17mm axle adjusters. This was the reason I pointed them out as you get not only the better end caps, but also hide the adjuter bolt inside.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        It was my understanding that parts were being chosen and mixed to match the axle size.

The bandit adjuster mod is to swap out the aluminum end caps/plates, but use the Katana internals. RF600 end caps would work the same way. This offered you a stronger end cap to prevent the issues with the thin steel cap being pulled into the swingarm but still matches the 17mm axle.

For better asthetic reasons, to hide the bolt inside the swingarm as well, the SV 1st gen adjusters are 17mm axle adjusters. This was the reason I pointed them out as you get not only the better end caps, but also hide the adjuter bolt inside.

Krey
        I know several have posted they swapped the entire bandit adjusters over.

As for the SV...I've seen those. So does that mean it's just the SV caps and use the Kat adjuster and bolt / nut?

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          I know several have posted they swapped the entire bandit adjusters over.

As for the SV...I've seen those. So does that mean it's just the SV caps and use the Kat adjuster and bolt / nut?
          No, first gen SV bandits used a 17mm axle. The entire assembly swaps and fits correctly.

I've see people post about using the caps off the bandits, but I was not aware anyone was using the larger axle sized inners on the smaller Kat axle.

I suppose it would not make that much of a difference if you did. The adjusters are primarily to be used to pull the axle, and thus the wheel, back. They do not support the axle, only put it in possition to tighten it down. The axle then supports it's self at that point. The upgrade from Kat caps to Bandit caps is really only a nessasity if your axle isn't properly torqued down. Spacers on either side but against the swingarm, not those... so that shouldn't really matter that much.

Spacers... they definately need to be the correct size though.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well if that's the case, I'll just look for SV adjusters. I'm only doing it because I'll be installing a new chain / sprocket set soon, and my adjusters are beat..I was going to clean / paint them anyway. So if I can score the SV stuff cheap, I'll clean / paint those since they look much cleaner.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

The SV adjuster is a direct swap (i've done it)

I'm running bandit adjusters, the entire adjuster in the kat with the kat axle.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

soo..whats wrong with the kat's adjusters? Ive adjusted my chain before...didn't seem too bad?

Comment

The bandit adjusters have a cleaner look. If you search around, you will find several threads on the topic.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I have done the swap to Bandit adjusters. The only draw back is I am limited on the amount of travel the axle has because of the larger diameter hole that the axle goes thru. I was too lazy to keep my original adjuster internals. With me being 170 lbs, it doesn't hurt my chain slack. Eventually I will change the internal parts when I get a new chain.

Comment

Ok.. so what years are first generation SVs ? Also any pictures?

P.S
                      If no one answers a post, does that mean my question is to stupid to deserve a reply?
                      cough, cough
                      Last edited by katanarider; 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM.
                      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Ok, so I assume 99-02 is a first generation SV (since I had to wikipedia it).
                        Well, this is what I understand to be a direct swap without modification to my Pre-98 ?
                        Last edited by katanarider; 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I get to use my favorite web site, search and you shall find

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Or a search here would have brought it up too.
                          Last edited by squiggy; 08-04-2010, 09:40 PM.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Makes me feel better to know someone actually replied.
                            The search bar is the source of confussion to start with but nice animation
                            I must say: THANK YOU !
                            Last edited by katanarider; 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I always like teasing people with that Let me Google That For You website. It's fun.

Someone did it to me so I like repaying the love.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X