No announcement yet.
X

Chain Recommendations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And on ride #4 today... the chain broke while I was riding, so I guess that answers my question about salvaging it, although I did clean and lube it yesterday....

Whew, nothing like trial by fire right? First day in live city traffic, stuck in a huge thunderstorm, lost my riding buddy, the the chain breaks, in the ghetto...

I am going to be relaxing with a bottle of wine tonight, I think...
    '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marksf8 View Post
      if the chain can not be salvaged, (for restoration - I used to soak in motor oil), then replace sprockets and chain as a set
      I'm getting that the best thing to do is clean the chain using kerosine.
      However, I would like to hear a little more about soaking a chain in motor oil. Is it something that should be done to chains that have been out of service for 3-5 years?
      Suzuki''s SP1 was mentioned as a great chain restorer, can anyone chime in with more info/advice?
      I invite you to church.

Comment

ZOMBIE!!!

If the chain has been just sitting in the elements for 3-5 years, REPLACE IT! Bad things can happen when a chain fails.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Yeah. It could break, and you could get stranded in the ghetto! >_>
          Nuff said.

Comment

Thread is ok due to member asking for help on a close issue to the thread. Hate it when thread is brought back by someone adding useless information or post whoring to get their count up. This one is ok.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
              Thread is ok due to member asking for help on a close issue to the thread. Hate it when thread is brought back by someone adding useless information or post whoring to get their count up. This one is ok.
              It was a close call, but the ruling is.....

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
                I'm getting that the best thing to do is clean the chain using kerosine.
                However, I would like to hear a little more about soaking a chain in motor oil. Is it something that should be done to chains that have been out of service for 3-5 years?
                Suzuki''s SP1 was mentioned as a great chain restorer, can anyone chime in with more info/advice?
                I've never tried to recover a chain using this method. It was something I had heard about and did during college to prolong the life of the chain. I don't even remember how the info came to me.
                For my money, if the chain is in need or recovery, the answer is replacement
                sigpic
                Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  Another quick question, are the chain requirements the same for a 600 & 750?
                  Last edited by 600toStart; 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM.
                  I invite you to church.

Comment

Working...
                  X