X

Chain Recommendations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Recommendations?

<sigh> The more I learn to look for, the more I need to replace... Getting to know my new (first) bike, a '91 Katana 600, and checked out the chain today on ride #2 (after oil change and oil filter replacement after ride #1), and lo and behold, it was bone dry. Apparently prior owner was a "low maintenance" kind of guy... The contact surface of the chain is shiny (clean, ouch) metal, the outside is definitely rusty. As far as replacement goes, what should I get that is a good all around chain, and gently priced? I am quickly finding out that the initial bike purchase was the cheapest part of this process... Don't know what the sprocket is, guessing it is probably stock but don't know for certain...

Thanks!

Lauren
    '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

If you are running 530 sprockets it's hard to go wrong with a 118 link 530 DID O-ring. Unless you have changed sprocket sizes, then you'll need to account for links accordingly. About a link for every tooth changed.
    Let's go riding!

Comment

OEM chain for my 2001 was RK so when it was time to replace it I bought another RK chain. It did not last nearly as long as the original for whatever reason. So for my second replacement, I went with DID. I'm happy with the life and wear I'm getting from it.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by femmekat View Post
        lo and behold, it [chain] was bone dry. Apparently prior owner was a "low maintenance" kind of guy...
        If the bike was parked up over the winter, the chain may be salvageable with judicious use of cleaner & lube. If it's not salvageable, odds are you are going to need/want new sprockets at the same time all around (because chains & sprockets wear as a set, and if you replace one without replacing the other parts of the equation, the new one will wear to the levels of the older parts rapidly).

Personally, I always used the RK+Vortex combo kits on the kat in the stock sizes (steel/steel combo's on the sprockets, 530 WXO chain for the chain). These are sold together as a combination through many dealers, including mail-order dealers BikeBandit... expect the hit to be around $180.

If you want to try top-of-the-line instead (and have deep pockets at the moment), take a look at Krause Racing's (aka SideWinder brand) TitaniumII sprockets and their matching chain. The sprockets are guaranteed for life, if used in conjunction with their chains.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Semper Fi
          1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

For thorough cleaning, do I need to take the chain off the bike? And if so, how compicated is that? (Limited tools, and minimal experience, what a lovely combination...)
            '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

Is there a thread on chains 101? lol. I may need to do this too. My chain is covered in gunk on the outside.

Comment

if the chain can not be salvaged, (for restoration - I used to soak in motor oil), then replace sprockets and chain as a set
                sigpic
                Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Rk, ek, did
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by femmekat View Post
                    For thorough cleaning, do I need to take the chain off the bike? And if so, how compicated is that? (Limited tools, and minimal experience, what a lovely combination...)

Originally posted by KrAzE View Post
                    Is there a thread on chains 101? lol. I may need to do this too. My chain is covered in gunk on the outside.

It's not hard and no need to fully remove the chain for general cleaning purposes.

Kerosene works well to remove most of the old oil and gunk, using a plastic bristled brush. There are special brushes and cleaning kits that are supposed to make the process easier and less mess, but they are not nessasary items. A bucket or catch pail, a little kerosene, and a brush are all you really need.

If you don't have a center stand, you may have to roll the bike a little at a time to get to the next section, if you do have a center stand...

Put the bike up on the center stand, in neutral.
                    Put the catch pail under the chain center between sprockets.
                    Apply kerosene and brush to that section, doing all 4 sides until clean.
                    Turn wheel to move chain to expose another dirty section
                    Apply Kerosen and brush to that section... repeat as nessasary until chain is clean.
                    Apply new lubricant to chain

And your all set.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Nice writeup. I may look for a brush and take care of this tuesday. Gona find out what color the chain is.. pretty sure it didnt come in black.

Recommendations on chain oil?

Comment

Recommendations on chain oil?
                          Lots of good chain oils on the market, but the best I've used so far (and the one I keep returning to) is the Permatex #80075 chain lube, available via some auto parts stores (anyone who carries permatex brand products should be able to order it for you; I also carry it as an optional-order item if you want it -- I just haven't added it to my inventory list yet).

If you're diligent about cleaning/oiling your chain, you can go with 130 weight gear lube and simply stroke it on with a paint brush (just like removing the grime with the kerosene).

I also like Suzuki's own chain lube (SP-1); it's saved some chains that I thought were beyond hope, unkinking stuck linkages. It's dirty, though (will splatter over time, PIA to get off wheels & swingarms once baked on).

A lot of people prefer "clean" lubes (ones that won't dirty up the swingarm) over "good" lubes (ones with better lubrication properties & tendency to fling away while carrying debris with them). If you're in the market for one of those, I can't make any good recommendations, because I haven't found any that work particularly well at the job of actually lubing the roller-sprocket-tooth interface over any distance [i.e. by the 100 mile mark].

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-24-2009, 06:26 PM.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am going to be looking for gold looking chain and sprockets to match the current theme of the bike. I am guessing a clean lube would be the right choice for me.. Im all about the visuals and will be willing to put the extra effort into maintenance.

I need to update my garage pics.. so much has gone into this bike, including that sweet seat I got from you

Comment

I am going to be looking for gold looking chain and sprockets to match the current theme of the bike. I am guessing a clean lube would be the right choice for me.. Im all about the visuals and will be willing to put the extra effort into maintenance.
                              FloridaKat has gotten religious about doing the kerosene & gear oil on his chain when he gets home from rides -- It's actually so neat that I thought he wasn't running any lube last Sunday when we went riding...

I need to update my garage pics.. so much has gone into this bike, including that sweet seat I got from you
                              That'd be cool... did I send you the briefing on what to do with it (in terms of initial treatments with sealants/leather conditioners)?

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X