X

Changing front sprocket.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing front sprocket.

So, I ordered a 13 tooth front sprocket yesterday. Just wondering how hard it is to change this out. Thanks in advance.
    1995 Suzuki Katana 600

I think it's easy , others think it is not . It's all relative .
    With the right tools and some knowhow , it ain't that hard . Just messy .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You need an impact wrench, or a couple gorillas.
      -
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

No you don't . A friend would be helpful MAYBE , but that's about it .

Comment

I needed one for mine, but then again, I'm a weakling.
          -
          -

Comment

Me too . I just used my big-a$$ tourque wrench set to like 120 ft/lbs and stood on the rear brake . Popped right off . Done that a few times with other's bikes as well . Only had to use the broom trick once or twice .

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              Me too . I just used my big-a$$ tourque wrench set to like 120 ft/lbs and stood on the rear brake . Popped right off . Done that a few times with other's bikes as well . Only had to use the broom trick once or twice .

Now I don't feel so bad! That impact wrench has saved my life on so many issues with my bike!
              -
              -

Comment

Any reason you went 13T in the front? You are going to wear your chain out pretty fast.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I went with it cause I was told I wouldn't have to change the chain. Everyone told me changing just one tooth down in the front is like going up 3 in the rear. At the dealership it showed my bike has 14t stock. So I only went down 1t in the front.
                  1995 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

you ALWAYS do the chain and sprockets together are you kidding me? You got a 13T front and your using the old chain and rear sprocket, good god man.

Comment

Do a search for broken chain, you should see a few pretty nasty puctures. Chain breaks are not good news when you're riding at highway speed, or any speed for that matter.
                      Get a good RK or EK chain...they're not that expensive.
                      -
                      -

Comment

What length chain should I get? It's got the stock rear sprocket and then 13t front sprocket.
                        1995 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

i got installed a 14 dents in the front sprocket wich egal to +3 dents for the rear sprocket and its dosent bent the chain since its garanted by suzuki dealer and the guys told me anyone do it . but 13 dents look a bit too much and not recommanded since its cause a stress on the chain and will make it damaged very fast

you must change 2 sprocket + chain at the same time its can be dangerous to put a 13 ft and dont change the chain and rear sprocket !
                          Last edited by mathsmart; 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrtoofast4u View Post
                            What length chain should I get? It's got the stock rear sprocket and then 13t front sprocket.
                            Get a new 530 chain. Make sure you get one that uses a rivet and not a clip to put it together. Some members have had problems with the clip together ones. If you're doing it yourself, you'll need a rivet kit. A few members sell them, or you can get them on eBay. If you're not riveting yourself, then you won't have to worry about length because the stealership will set it up for you. If you're doing it yourself, I believe the correct length that you'll have to dremel it down to is 112 links...but don't quote me on that.
                            -
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X