X

Help on choosing tires!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on choosing tires!!!

I need some help on choosing the right set of tires. My bike is a "99 katana 750. I drive the bike everyday and in the rain if I get caught in it. I drive the bike to school and work to saving gas. Also, I love to ride on twistie curves on the weekends.

I was looking at getting a dual compound tire, because my drive to school and work is nothing but straight roads with very little curves. While still having good grip in the turns. But the trick to this is I'm trying to get the best tire for the price without having to pay alot of money.

Is there a tire that comes to anyones mind that performs well that will not break my wallet?

Sorry for making this so long....
    Last edited by 750 katana; 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM.

Help choosing tires!!!!!

I need some help on choosing the right set of tires. My bike is a "99 katana 750. I drive the bike everyday and in the rain if I get caught in it. I drive the bike to school and work to saving gas. Also, I love to ride on twistie curves on the weekends.

I was looking at getting a dual compound tire, because my drive to school and work is nothing but straight roads with very little curves. While still having good grip in the turns. But the trick to this is I'm trying to get the best tire for the price without having to pay alot of money.

Is there a tire that comes to anyones mind that performs well that will not break my wallet?

Sorry for making this so long....

Comment

Z6's. It's the favorite tire here just about. Road attacks, and diablos are also popular.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Z6's. It's the favorite tire here just about. Road attacks, and diablos are also popular.
        I have not heard anything good things about road attacks but I have heard good things about the sport attacks.

But are these tires dual compound tires??

Comment

I have about 1000 miles on my road attacks and they stick like glue. So far they don't seem to be wearing too quickly either. I think they might be one of the best tires for Sport touring available (even 2 up).
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

ive got sport attacks, i wont use anything else

Comment

I love my Z6's. They stick like glue and are wearing very nicely. I have about 5000 miles on them so far and still have lots of tread left. I commute and ride the twisties on the weekends.
              Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

The michelin man is keeping me happy, and I commute about 60miles a day, monday through friday. That includes the spirited weekend ride too !

Comment

My recommendation specific to your request:
                  Metzeler Z6 tires all around (120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear).
                  You can score the pair for about $210 - $230 delivered typically via mail order from one of the following sources:
                  AmericanMotoTire.com
                  DennisKirk.com
                  RonAyers.com

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am going to agree with Cp on this one as I just put them on my 06 750 and what a difference. You won't be sorry.

May want to check into what a shop will charge for mount and balance though as they can go pretty high and usually if you buy from them the mount and balance is free.

Tmod

Comment

The Bridgestone battle axe BT 021 are an awesome dual compound tire.
                      they are compared to the Metz Z6 in most tests.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I am reading reviews on the Roadsmarts by Dunlop, and almost all the people liked them better than the Z6 and saying that the wear was better and the ultimate grip levels in the twisties are better, although the on center feeling is a bit vague at first. All the reports are giving similar opinions.

I can pretty well say that I am done with the Z6's because they do not have good wear indicators. My last set ended up cording with little to no warning.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                          I am reading reviews on the Roadsmarts by Dunlop, and almost all the people liked them better than the Z6 and saying that the wear was better and the ultimate grip levels in the twisties are better, although the on center feeling is a bit vague at first. All the reports are giving similar opinions.

I can pretty well say that I am done with the Z6's because they do not have good wear indicators. My last set ended up cording with little to no warning.
                          I don't care if people are saying that they stick like glue, wear forever, increase your income, cradle your balls, and clean your house....... they're still made by Duncupped, err.... Dunlop..... I'll rock another set of Dunlops in the reign of Queen Dick.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

How durable are these tires? I thought the really grippy tires didnt last too long?

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              I don't care if people are saying that they stick like glue, wear forever, increase your income, cradle your balls, and clean your house....... they're still made by Duncupped, err.... Dunlop..... I'll rock another set of Dunlops in the reign of Queen Dick.
                              Although not exactly how I would have worded it, I agree. I will NEVER run a Dunslop tire again. CRAP. I liked my Macadams better than the POS Dunlops I had....and that's BAD.

Right now, my money is on Shinko 005's. I have over 4K on the front with no visible wear. I had to replace the rear due to a nail though, but it was wearing decent before then.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                              X