X

Question about sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sprockets

I am wanting to increase the amount of torque I have in the lower gears. I know if you change the sprockets ratio will help, It is hard to find sprockets other than stock for the Katana but I have found some. What would be the best 14-48 or I have found 13-50? Someone please help me soon, riding season is shortening by the day, also what chain is recommended? Thanks.

bikebandit has sprockets and chains 4 u

Comment

I don't need to find them I'm wondering what ratio is better but I do need to know what kind of 530 chain i need by the links.

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by sickkat View Post
          I am wanting to increase the amount of torque I have in the lower gears. I know if you change the sprockets ratio will help, It is hard to find sprockets other than stock for the Katana but I have found some. What would be the best 14-48 or I have found 13-50? Someone please help me soon, riding season is shortening by the day, also what chain is recommended? Thanks.
          whatever you do, i would never reccomend goin down 2 in the front (13-50) ... goin down that much in the front will completey dessimate the lifespan of your chain... i would just reccomend goin up 2 or 3 in the back, and seeing how u like that before deciding on the front sprocket

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
          "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I think Its depends on alot of things. Like me I got an 14/50, 520 conv. an, Aluminium rear Sprocket so my Rear Sprocket will be worn around 10,000miles. So really I could go 13/50 if I change my setup every 10,000. RK chain are warranty 20,000 miles anywayz. And for me that once every year. So its not horrible. But also I do alot of city driving and commutting to work so it wouldn't be that bad. But wheelies might become suddenly easier. And MPG drop alot
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
              I think Its depends on alot of things. Like me I got an 14/50, 520 conv. an, Aluminium rear Sprocket so my Rear Sprocket will be worn around 10,000miles. So really I could go 13/50 if I change my setup every 10,000. RK chain are warranty 20,000 miles anywayz. And for me that once every year. So its not horrible. But also I do alot of city driving and commutting to work so it wouldn't be that bad. But wheelies might become suddenly easier. And MPG drop alot
              yea, but thats cuz you've got an aluminum rear sprocket with a 520 conversion... with those modes, u already know the lifespan of your chain/sprockets is goin to be alot less... i'm just stating if say he goes with like a titanium or just standard steel sprocket with a 530... cuz it would kinda suck to have to change your sprockets and chain out at like 10,000 miles if you could've gotten like 20 or 30 thousand out of them, u kno

"for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
                yea, but thats cuz you've got an aluminum rear sprocket with a 520 conversion... with those modes, u already know the lifespan of your chain/sprockets is goin to be alot less... i'm just stating if say he goes with like a titanium or just standard steel sprocket with a 530... cuz it would kinda suck to have to change your sprockets and chain out at like 10,000 miles if you could've gotten like 20 or 30 thousand out of them, u kno
                Point taken.. Thats way It depends on the person. Personnal I brought my bike for fun. I got a car for long duration.
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014
                Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I would never ride more than 10k on one chain. I did a 520 conversion and went up two teeth in the back. I'm running an aluminum rear sprocket too. I got the steel front, an x-ring chain and an aluminum rear all for about $120. That's hardly more than an x-ring 520 chain usually costs. I bought it all seperate.

Anyways to answer your question....go up in the back rather than down in the front. Going down in the front kills the life of the chain regardless.....
                  Keep right except to pass!
                  myspace.com/brianlmullins

Comment

i've ridden plenty of chains 20,000 miles with no problems... now with a 520, thats a different story, but with a 530, its easy to get 20,000 out of them... as long as you keep up with regular maintenance ( i.e. lubing your chain, checking slack) you can easily make a chain last more then 20,000 no problem... that and switching over to a 520 with an aluminum sprocket really doesnt do you any good on a kat... what's a pound or 2 shaved really goin to do for u on a 500 + pound bike, u kno

my build threads

Comment

I dropped to 14-48 with my last sprocket/chain replacement on my 600. Really helped pick up the acceleration at lower rpm's, really noticable when riding 2up. Top speed in 6th is now the same as it was in 5th with the stock gearing (135mph indicated on the speedo @ 12,500rpm). Cruising at 65mph on the speedo, tach reads right at 6000rpm.
                      Last edited by Psycho1; 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

i've ridden plenty of chains 20,000 miles with no problems... now with a 520, thats a different story, but with a 530, its easy to get 20,000 out of them... as long as you keep up with regular maintenance ( i.e. lubing your chain, checking slack) you can easily make a chain last more then 20,000 no problem... that and switching over to a 520 with an aluminum sprocket really doesnt do you any good on a kat... what's a pound or 2 shaved really goin to do for u on a 500 + pound bike, u kno
                        Not goin to argue and start something. But I do want to bring up a point. A pound or two or he** three. Not only is that bike overall weight the rotational weight/Unsprung weight.
                        sigpic
                        Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Not goin to argue and start something. But I do want to bring up a point. A pound or two or he** three. Not only is that bike overall weight the rotational weight/Unsprung weight.
                          Exactly. Its a lot more than just a couple pounds on the bike...its a couple pounds on the drive train. My Kat is lightened up quite a bit at this point regardless. AND.....I would still never ride 20k on one chain. Just not worth the neglect from my point of view. I change my chain each winter unless it needs done sooner. I also doubt that there is a substantial difference between the wear ability of a 520 vs. a 530. If kept in proper adjustmetn that is...
                          Keep right except to pass!
                          myspace.com/brianlmullins

Comment

hey wasn't I telling you how important rotational mass was on the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by CANATUNA View Post
                              would still never ride 20k on one chain. Just not worth the neglect from my point of view.
                              I typically get 25 to 30k out of a chain before it's even 50% of it's service-limit (at which point I tend to replace it). With the chain-oiler I added on the last Kat, I was expecting even more distance (40k easily) before the chain was at that 50% mark.

Something tells me "not worth the neglect" is the neglect you give your chains

Now, if you are serious about rotational mass, you'll weigh your tires (lighter tires make a much bigger difference because they are far further from the center of rotation), and consider getting some magnesium wheels...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 09-07-2008, 02:22 AM.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X