Tire Balance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Balance

How much weight is too much?

Well you are shooting for the least amount you have to use to get a good balance, If the tire is marked for location for the valve stem and the installer has a decent balancing machine then it will take whatever it takes. Usually it is a fairly low amount.

I had one that took 70g and I thought that was a bit much, my new Z6's took 20g in the rear and 0 up front.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
      Well you are shooting for the least amount you have to use to get a good balance, If the tire is marked for location for the valve stem and the installer has a decent balancing machine then it will take whatever it takes. Usually it is a fairly low amount.

I had one that took 70g and I thought that was a bit much, my new Z6's took 20g in the rear and 0 up front.

Tmod
      70g is way too much in my opinion. (Didn't we have this discussion already? haha) 0 and 20 seems like a beautiful thing! With sportbike wheels being so light and all, I would generally say that a high quality tire on a straight and true wheel should take no more than 30 or 35g. As a matter of fact....... most of the time, a high quality tire on a straight and true wheel.... even if you don't balance it at all, you can ride at reasonable speeds and feel no vibration.

If a quality sport tire is taking more than 50g, it's definitely time to look for excessive runout in the tire or wheel, or a bead that hasn't seated fully.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Also:
        Most tires have some sort of marking for balance point, such as a red or white dot on the side-wall (or a decal), which is designed to be placed opposite the valve for most brands (at the valve for at least one brand). Setting that point in the wrong place can cause you to need excess weight to compensate for it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

More than a couple ounces, and I will turn the tire 180* on the rim, then proceed to do whatever it takes.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks It seem like my rear new Conti has too much weight. Im going to take it back to the fellow who mounted and balanced on a new snap on machine to try to get it a bit better maybe the 180 drg thing will help. glad i didnt install on the bike yet!

Comment

prolly should try and stay under a pound or so.... anything over that and you will deff get some wobble action......
              THE EMAIL BANDIT
              F4 I stunted out
              Cbr900 (low and stretched)
              MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

How much weight is on there, out of curiousity?
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

5 of the little squar stick on that should be 1/4 oz each if im correct so its 1 OZ & 1/4 on each side of the rim opposit the steel valve stem what do you think too much? Total 2 OZ Plus a half oz on the rear wheel. (Fast jetta ) did you say Under a pound??? that seems like a lot!

Comment

Working...
                  X