X

chicken strips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken strips

i cant get all the way to the edge no matter what i try. just thursday i scraped the peg making a left turn and the tire still got strips? i have a 160 dunlop on the back and just dont think ill ever get them off. so i was wondering if any one here has a picture of their 160 compleatly scrubbed in? cause im starting to wonder if it is possible on this tire without falling over.

Not if you're lucky. Trust me, you want to touch down the pegs before you run out of traction, esp. on the front.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah.... im pretty sure almost every tire on the street still has some CS left....

my buddies cbr turns like CRAZY and hes still got a stripe on the edge.....
      THE EMAIL BANDIT
      F4 I stunted out
      Cbr900 (low and stretched)
      MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

I go into parking lots to practice low speed stuff once in a while and I usually top it off by doing figure 8s, small tight ones to large, high speed also.

Anyways, coming out of the turn I'm hard on the throttle and the pegs are often scraping, the rear wheel is starting to slide and the front end is light. Well, I still have a very thin chicken strip on mine and I don't think it could go over any further.
        sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

its just as i read through this forum i see guys saying they have no cs left on their kats and i would like to see this with the same tire size im running. i really dont know but think maybee i could get rid of the stripe if i had a 150 rear cause of the difference in the tires shape. i could be way off but i figure that the extra rubber on the 160 is just about useless if ill never use it. but if the 160 allows me extra saftey leaned over cause its not ever going to get to the edge with me on it and therefore not loose traction then maybee i dont want a 150? oh well my kats next tire will be the 150 and ill see first hand the differences.

Comment

The only time I excise my rear chicken strips fully is in terrain like that of the dragon -- hard on- and off-camber turns, heavy road crowning, with lots of switchbacks. I don't tend to run anywhere close to the edges of the rear in normal driving in Florida, and I'm perfectly content with that.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A lot will depend on your riding style. If you hang off the seat much then you will not lean as far over in many cases. If you countersteer heavily then you will scrub further up the sidewall of the front tire. If you accelerate hard while leaned over you will scrub further up on the rear, assuming you don't just lose it altogether.

Comment

I don't have any chicken strips and I have a 190 rear tire. The fronts have only an 1/8" too
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

having chicken strips just isn't something that bothers me. I lean what I would seem as nearly falling over but still have half inch to 3/4 inch left. people give me crap about it, but i would rather have the chicken strips than road rash.

I ride for myself, not to make others happy or to their style.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                    i cant get all the way to the edge no matter what i try. just thursday i scraped the peg making a left turn and the tire still got strips? i have a 160 dunlop on the back and just dont think ill ever get them off. so i was wondering if any one here has a picture of their 160 compleatly scrubbed in? cause im starting to wonder if it is possible on this tire without falling over.
                    You will not, EVER get rid of the chicken strips on your tire. In your avatar, that appears to be a pre-98. I have run your same setup (pre98 750, 160/60 Dunlop 208), and it just isn't possible to get rid of it. If you want to test, get a couple of friends to lean the bike over until the pegs touch, you'll see that there is no way to get to the edge of the tire. Even easier, use a piece of plywood or something, and hold it making a line from your tire to the peg, like it was the road...... it's just not possible. I'm sure it would be more likely possible with a 150/70. But with that tire, it just can't happen. I had scraped my toes pretty well on the last bike, and wasn't even close to getting rid of the strips.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                      A lot will depend on your riding style. If you hang off the seat much then you will not lean as far over in many cases. If you countersteer heavily then you will scrub further up the sidewall of the front tire. If you accelerate hard while leaned over you will scrub further up on the rear, assuming you don't just lose it altogether.
                      this breaks it down fairly well I think, I noticed that early in the season when my a$$ was directly on the seat my front tire was suffed heavily and the CS on the rear was barely visible, now while I'm hanging off the bike my front hardly shows any wear, but I continue to crank the throttle coming out of the turn and still have a very thin CS. I can really feel the rear end starting to break lose and my buddy tells me that he has seen puffs of smoke coming from the rear tire, the rubber marks on the asphault tell the story also.
                      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

i run a 160 rear and i don't have any chicken strips. i'll post a pic later on a show you. i don't hang off my bike either, i do drag pegs, which is probably the reason i went down at the gap. i'm gonna have to start trying to get the hang of hanging off.

Comment

if you got chicken strips that means you aren't cornering fast enough.... Pick up your corner speed... That means take it to the track... Where you can work on your quick steering... Going from straight up to full lean as quick as you can will be your ticket to getting your corner speed up and working on those strips... If you find yourself gradually getting the bike leaned all the way over through a corner you aren't doing yourself any favors... Steering inputs need to be as quick as you can safely make them... Otherwise you'll find yourself on the throttle more than you should be with it leaned over....

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I have been dragging knee lately in a local parking lot, and scraping pegs. I still have about 1/4 to 1/2 cs left on both the front and rear(160).

No one has any reason to be riding hard enough on a public road to use the whole tire, plain and simple. Like ABK said, if you really want them gone, work on your riding form and take it to the track.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                              if you got chicken strips that means you aren't cornering fast enough....
                              If your avatar is correct, you're riding something that's a lot easier to slam into the corners than a stock Kat (in part because the stock Kat's suspension is very soft). If he's asking about chickenstrips, my guess is that he hasn't been riding long enough to push the bike that hard *anywhere* including the track. Depending on where in Texas he lives, the roads may well be like Florida anyway -- long, flat slabs of high-speed highways and a minimum of corners aside from on/off-ramps & traffic-light style 90 degree corners...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X