X

Metzler Z6 tires Problems?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metzler Z6 tires Problems?

After doing some research I upgraded my '97 600 tires to Metzler Z6 tires from
    solomotoparts.com. The rear tire wouldn't seal and after saving excess rubber that it sealed. The front tire looks like its on backward. The arrow on the sidewall is pointing Forward, but the treads are A shaped vs V shaped. Wouldn't the A shaped channel the water from outside to inside. Also the tires don't look as wide and strong as the original 80 profile Dunlop tires. My biggest problem right now is the front tire tread looks like its on backward. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any pictures, I have those tires installed, I will go have a look.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

elephants face wear you wanna go
      so many roads so little time

Comment

Picture of front tire

coming towards you(front)

Comment

the arrow is seposed to face the direction of rotation
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by hanalulu View Post
            After doing some research I upgraded my '97 600 tires to Metzler Z6 tires from
            solomotoparts.com. The rear tire wouldn't seal and after saving excess rubber that it sealed. The front tire looks like its on backward. The arrow on the sidewall is pointing Forward, but the treads are A shaped vs V shaped. Wouldn't the A shaped channel the water from outside to inside. Also the tires don't look as wide and strong as the original 80 profile Dunlop tires. My biggest problem right now is the front tire tread looks like its on backward. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
            The front and rear tread patterns normally are the opposite of each other. The reason is that the rear wheel will have the tread setup for optimum acceleration while the front tread is setup for optimum braking.

That is normal.
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

After doing some research I upgraded my '97 600 tires to Metzler Z6 tires from solomotoparts.com. The rear tire wouldn't seal and after saving excess rubber that it sealed.
              Can you explain this in better detail? Normally, on the 97 rim, as long as the rim was prepped correctly (i.e. - cleaned after the old tire was dismounted), the new Z6 in a 150/70ZR17 should mount to it without issue and seal on the first try.
              If this isn't the case, I'd be concerned that they might have sent you one of the specialty versions of the Z6 (intended for such uses as the FJR or the BMW's) instead of the general-release version you should be running, or running some size other than the 150/70ZR17 you ought to be running on that rim (at least in the Z6 series).

The front tire looks like its on backward. The arrow on the sidewall is pointing Forward, but the treads are A shaped vs V shaped. Wouldn't the A shaped channel the water from outside to inside. Also the tires don't look as wide and strong as the original 80 profile Dunlop tires. My biggest problem right now is the front tire tread looks like its on backward. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
              You're right, they don't look as wide, simply because they aren't. They use a far grippier compound and have a much faster arcing profile to make handling sharper. As long as the arrow is pointed in the direction of rotation for forward motion and the tire is a 120/70ZR17, it's correct.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

when i first got my first set of z6's mounted they did look alittle backwards.......but double checked and they were on right. Just looked weird.

the dunlop only compares to the z6 in the reguards that it is round and black.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

It runs beautiful now with the Z6. I can much tighter turn with the new tires. While I was at it I also cleaned the lip of the rims with paint stripper. Looks amaging. Many thanks to this website.

Comment

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

good news and bad news, but first the bad news: While adjusting my tire alignment and chain I found a screw into the thread of my rear tire... @#&*! but after a couple of days thinking about what to do and how much to spend I have a set of Metzeler Z6's on order and should have them on by the end of the week!

I commute to and from work and sometimes get caught in the rain for a 40 minute ride home so I am looking forward to a more confident feel on wet pavement.
                      How is my manner of life working out for you?

Comment

good stuff on the way then
                        so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by doesmith View Post
                          good news and bad news, but first the bad news: While adjusting my tire alignment and chain I found a screw into the thread of my rear tire... @#&*! but after a couple of days thinking about what to do and how much to spend I have a set of Metzeler Z6's on order and should have them on by the end of the week!

I commute to and from work and sometimes get caught in the rain for a 40 minute ride home so I am looking forward to a more confident feel on wet pavement.

It's what I have on my Kat....and they're amazing on wet roads.
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Finally got the time to retrieve my Kat from the shop, yeah! and the new Metzeler's look and feel great, can't wait to get them scrubbed in and really try them out.

The ride feels 100% smoother than before, I'm wondering if that's due to Dunlop -vs- Metzeler or maybe there was some imbalance on the wheels. only had 6700 miles on the bike and Dunlops.
                            How is my manner of life working out for you?

Comment

Working...
                            X