X

Got LOTS Of Tires, Wondering What I Should Do

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got LOTS Of Tires, Wondering What I Should Do

Okay, I am wondering if I should spend the money to swap out some of the tires I have on and not on bikes. Here's a quick rundown:

Sprint ST, my ride. F- Metzler Roadtech Z6, R- Michelin Pilot Power. Metz calls the RT Z6 a sport-touring, Mich calls the Power a "extreme road riding and track day" tire. Isn't the rear gonna wear out MUCH faster than the front? Worth the $30 or so my closest mc tire shop will want to take it off and put on something else (dismount, mount, balance, tire cost not included) or should I wait till it wears out, or should I offer it for sale? Very few miles on both tires, about 1000, prob. less.

Bandit 1200. Gonna let my buddy ride it this spring on our 5-day mc trip, then it's for sale. F- Metzlet RT Z6, R- Michelin MacAdam 90. I know lots of folks here hate Mcadams- seems like the opposite situation as the Spring. But perhaps not worth the money to swap, given I am selling soon? My buddy is not a noob, but not experienced with the torque the Bandit has (his current bike, which he rides only occasionally, is a Kawi Vulcan 750)

99 GSXR 600. Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier F and R. Not really gonna do anything here, but opinions of these tires appreciated.

96 Kawi ZX6. F- Sportmax II, but worn. Will need to be replaced soon. R- Dunlop Powermax D207. Opinions?

88 Kat1100- stock wheels and bias tires- F Dunlop K591, R- ArrowMax GT501. Lots of tread left, no dryrot. I'd LOVE to put Bandit wheels on it, and use modern tires, but it's gonna be for sale, don't think I'd get my money back doing that. Agree?

New, never mounted: Set of Dunlop Sportmax D207. What to do with them? Keep em for the Sprint? Something else?

Used, good condition, age unknown (Just too lazy to check the numbers...)
    Michelin M59 160/60VR17
    Metz. Roadtech Z6, 170/60ZR17
    Dunlop Sportmax D220 ST (Sport Touring) F and R, sizes to fit the Bandit.

The Mich and Metz. that are used, I have nothing to put them on, currently, so I guess best thing to do is to sell 'em? Value guesses?

I am LISTENING. Let me know what you think. Experience with any of those tires esp. appreciated. Thanks.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Good grief, 44 views and NOT ONE OPINION???

Okay, had a mo to check out other post about tires. Tell me if I am off-track with these impressions:

Z6's are roundly liked. Good combo between grip and wear.
    Michelin Pilot Sports are almost just like Z6's.
    Pilot Powers wear fast- 3000 miles. Ouch. Glad I didn't pay for this one. Should I take it off now and sell it?
    Dunlop Sportmax D220's may wear quickly- but the ones I have are marked ST- sport touring? Longer wear?
    Last edited by StevieB; 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Well not directly..

What kind of shape is the ZX6 in? Is it for sale?

Any pics?

Comment

It will be for sale. Need ignition key to start, overall in decent conditon, but will get paint. Got other bikes I am doing ahead of it, but give me a timetable for when you want to buy, maybe I can move it up on the schedule.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

I'm guessing you got some tires with your lot of parts? I think the first step should be to try and figure out how old they all are. eBay the tires that are ~4 years old.... and go on from there.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
            It will be for sale. Need ignition key to start, overall in decent conditon, but will get paint. Got other bikes I am doing ahead of it, but give me a timetable for when you want to buy, maybe I can move it up on the schedule.

Oh... I was looking for a 'fixer upper' if at all. I owned a 93 or 94 ( I think) ZX6 and it was a pretty comfy bike...didn't have it long, someone "relieved" me of it...

Comment

ctandc, I could sell it like it is, or could after I have a key and hear it run. PM me if interested. I am in Atlanta GA area, btw.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

You're asking me to rate tires on bikes that I've never tried a bunch of tires on (unlike the 98+ Kat, where I did a real tire comparo one year with 6 sets of brand new tires back-to-back every couple weeks). Since each bike is different (suspension, weight distribution, handling), I can't tell you what to do.

As for what you sell on fleabay, simply start them low with a good description and they'll set their own values. When I sold the used tires from the tire comparo, I made mail-order cost on all tires.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

how much for the gsx1100???

Comment

Originally posted by timwunderr View Post
                    +1
                    2005 GSXF750 Katana
                    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by timwunderr View Post
                      Before or after paint?
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

Working...
                      X