Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

OK to just replace rear tire or best to have matching tread?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to just replace rear tire or best to have matching tread?

The 600cc I am purchasing needs a new rear tire but the front appears to still be pretty good. Would I be better off to just get both replaced at the same time or is it no big deal to run 2 different tread patterns?

www.WVstreets.com

What make/model is the front?

Depending on what it is would help to decide, i.e. if it's a stock macadam I would say replace both, if it's a decent make such as bt-020/021, metz z6, conti sport, etc, you should be able to get a matching rear.
    Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

What year? The tire is probably past it's "use" date anyway.. Changing them both is the best bet but not a law...

Comment

I am not sure on the front tire, I will post up when I pick up the bike on saturday.

it is a 1996 katana

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Conventional wisdom holds that one front tire will last as long as two rears- I'd install a rear to match the front, and next time, replace them both.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

no

Comment

IMHO: replace both unless the front is a particularly good tire and you're going to stick to that brand/make in the rear.

Specifically: if the tire in question is a Michelin Macadam (90x or 100x), a Dunlop 205 / 207, Chen Shing, or a bias-based tire, I would recommend removing the front and selling it used on eBay, then getting a complete set of new Metzeler Z6's instead.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Kat750GSXF View Post
                no
                What kind of an answer is THAT?

Besides, everbody knows the correct answer is...

"Yes."
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

i am going to get both tires replaced.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    IMHO: replace both unless the front is a particularly good tire and you're going to stick to that brand/make in the rear.

Specifically: if the tire in question is a Michelin Macadam (90x or 100x), a Dunlop 205 / 207, Chen Shing, or a bias-based tire, I would recommend removing the front and selling it used on eBay, then getting a complete set of new Metzeler Z6's instead.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    That is exactly what I did when my D205 got a nail in the rear. Two new Z6's... World of difference.
                    2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Now I just have to decide between the cont force or z6. I want a set that will do well in the rain if I get caught in a storm.

Thanks for the help!

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

IMHO: There is no tire better for the Kat in the wet than the Z6. Period. No matter what, if you are concerned about wet-weather handling, stick to the stock tire sizes (don't up-size the rear tire to a 160/60).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What is the cheapest place to buy a Z6 tire at?

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Iron pony had the cheapest price for the conti forces looks like $117 front and 135 rear for the z6's
                            Excelent turn around time from order to delivery
                            sigpic

Comment

I guess it depends really.... My front tire was shot at the end of last season so I replaced them as a set since I wanted to go to a Z6.

I kept the old rear as an "emergency spare" which I should probably put on eBay this winter...
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X