X
X

All About Chains

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you. I am going to get it this week and install it. i will keep you posted.
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF 600 Guy View Post
      Thank you. I am going to get it this week and install it. i will keep you posted.
      You'll need a chain tool to close the rivet-link properly. I carry 'em in my offers thread ( http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596 ).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The guy installing it has about every tool you can think of. He is a motorcycle nut. He's got 4 Harley Sportsters and 2 Harley Dressers. The one Sportster is a 51. He does all his own work. He said I buy everything, he'll put it all on for me. And no, he doesnt discriminate against sport bikes. I road with him to Maryland 2 years ago and he didnt try to "show off" and neither did I..

But, if he dont have it, I will let you know and order one from you.

Comment

Got everything today and put it all on. Found out all the teeth on the front sprocket were bent going in one direction (like they tightened the chain to much). My friend said what was happening was the chain was getting (in the way he showed me) "pushed" away from the grove, but at the bottom the tooth itself was trying to hold onto it.
          Last edited by GSXF 600 Guy; 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Found out all the teeth on the front sprocket were bent going in one direction (like they tightened the chain to much).
            That typically happens when a chain has links that are sticking AND/OR is too tight, and the sprocket hasn't been replaced in quite some time... since front sprockets are virtually always steel (there's zero benefit to using aluminum fronts outside MotoGP where every gram counts), it had to be like that for quite some time...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Same as what my buddy told me. He said it didnt even look like they replaced it. I went to the shop that did the work (with parts in hand) and they said they will check inventory to make sure their wasnt a mistake, hand the parts over to the service manager to get a refund of the money I spent with them. They even said what the same thing, chain to tight, the front sprocket was bad, and everything was worn the same way. They guy at the shop even found a few links that were flatened out (the center part)..

But everything is up to par now, and so far no streching, no noises, just no issues period. I took it out for a 3 hr putt around my area on the slower rodes and stopping every so often to check the chain.

BTW. I did have to go for the more expensive one because they were out of the other which doesnt matter to me.
              Last edited by GSXF 600 Guy; 06-13-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

after a new chain ride it 300-600 miles you might want to adjust it a bit they strech some ,more so on 520 chains , but mostly only one time after getting it new ,

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                  after a new chain ride it 300-600 miles you might want to adjust it a bit they strech some ,more so on 520 chains , but mostly only one time after getting it new ,
                  I know they do strech, thats why I was watching it the whole time I was riding. If it streched, get it home and take are of it.

Comment

got refund today. theysad that y did not replace the front sprocket. So they re-embursed me for what they charged me. The tech that worked on my bike remembereds it and said it wasnt on the work-order so he didnt do it. It was on the computer to do it all, but on the workorder slip to go to the garage it want there. I dont understand how that happened because I did pay for all 3 parts.
                    Last edited by GSXF 600 Guy; 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

got refund today. theysad that y did not replace the front sprocket. So they re-embursed me for what they charged me. The tech that worked on my bike remembereds it and said it wasnt on the work-order so he didnt do it. It was on the computer to do it all, but on the workorder slip to go to the garage it want there. I dont understand how that happened because I did pay for all 3 parts.
                      Let's see if I got this right -- you asked for everything, they logged that you asked for everything, mechanic's slip didn't spec front sprocket.

In my book, the instant you asked for everything and they logged it, they took responsibility for the whole chain/sprocket system -- and if it failed prematurely due to their lack of attention, replacement for all of it is on them, because the other failures/accelerated wear (chain, rear sprocket) was due to their negligence.

=-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The Tech sheet didnt say anything about the front sprocket. From what i seen when i was there all it said was (on the service computer and receipt) 14T FR Sprc 530P Chain 118L 530P 47T RR 530P. But on the Tech sheet it only had the chain and rear sprocket. they did give me the refund for the service charge and for the parts. Still Po'ed that i had to go through all of it again but. it's whatever. Im back to riding.

Comment

The Tech sheet didnt say anything about the front sprocket. From what i seen when i was there all it said was (on the service computer and receipt) 14T FR Sprc 530P Chain 118L 530P 47T RR 530P. But on the Tech sheet it only had the chain and rear sprocket. they did give me the refund for the service charge and for the parts. Still Po'ed that i had to go through all of it again but. it's whatever. Im back to riding.
                          What I'm saying is that you asked for it, and they have proof you asked for it, screw whatever it says on the tech sheet -- they [as a dealership as a whole] are responsible for effectively wearing out your new chain & rear sprocket, and should be man enough to step up and buy you the entire set-up again in the name of customer service.
                          I'll just never understand a dealership that would lose a potential life-long customer over something like $130 worth of parts [their wholesale cost] when they screwed up...

=-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            What I'm saying is that you asked for it, and they have proof you asked for it, screw whatever it says on the tech sheet -- they [as a dealership as a whole] are responsible for effectively wearing out your new chain & rear sprocket, and should be man enough to step up and buy you the entire set-up again in the name of customer service.

=-= The CyberPoet
                            Yeah, I do understand that. The dealership, nor me knew until I replaced everything myself. They did appoligize for the mistake and hoped I will return in the future. I already had the new parts on that I got from BikeBandit.com. I only wanted what I paid for the service and the parts that were prematurely worn that they installed. I paid them $397.97, and got $397.97 back.
                            I wasnt going to ask for anything more. Everything they put on was in their hand including the front sprocket which was mine, but how bad it was i didnt even want it as a "dont do this" reminder on my garage wall. No reason that I see for asking for a new set to sit in my garage. When I need to have it all replaced ill go back.
                            I'll just ask to see the Tech Sheet and make sure... LOL

Comment

I paid them $397.97, and got $397.97 back
                              OK, I misunderstood. I thought they paid you back for just the front sprocket and the labor to install the front sprocket. My bad. If they gave you the entirety back, they did right by you

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know im a bit confusing at times. LOL.. Sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X