Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is it time for new tires? Metzlers? Website?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time for new tires? Metzlers? Website?

Hey all, Just bought a 00 Kat 600 a few months ago, and the time has come to get a new rear tire (maybe front too). The inspection shop said he can't pass me with my front tire because it's uneven. I forget what he called it, but he said that when I turn the front tire would jump up and down because the tire is wavy and not smooth. hope someone can decipher what I'm trying to explain. The front tire has plenty of tread on it, but he says its still unsafe. Does anyone know anything about this.

I think either way it might be a good idea to get a new set of tires, as I've read that it will greatly improve my riding experience. That said, I think I've decided on a set of Metzler Z6's. Anyone know of the cheapest website to get these? So far ronayers.com comes in cheapest at $248 shipped for a set, americanmototire.com next at $251, and bikebandit.com at $262. I think I'd prefer americanmototire based on hearing good things about them from others, but I'm open to suggestions.

If anyone has anything to add about this, I'd love to hear.

Thanks

I got quoted $500 flat for new front and rear Z6's - includes tires and installation.

Fair/good/bad price? Also includes my 4K service.
    GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

smokey - Check your local shops, When you buy a tire online, the shop will still charge you to put it on. If you are able to get the wheels off the bike and take them to a shop, it's normally anywhere from 10-30 bucks to have the new tires mounted and balanced. Since your bike hasn't passed inspection, I don't think you have the option to drive the bike to a shop. But in the event that you do go that route they will charge you considerably more because they have to take the time to get the wheels off before they mount the tires.

So go and check your local shops before buying online, because most local shops will charge you less for mount/balance if you buy the tire from them.

The Z6 is an excellent choice btw.

River - What does the 4k service include?
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Oil change, new filter, valve inspection, chain lube/inspection, tire inspection/air pressure check, bla bla bla...

Last 2 service appts, they washed the bike for me. i love the way they make you feel there, all friendly and what-not.
        GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

And what you describe sounds like what's called "cupped" or "scalloped" .
          Tires are good . You should DEFINATELY get you some of those .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I bought my Z6's online and paid $60 for the shop to install both. Best upgrade you can do to a Kat IMHO (2nd is Fumoto valve).

Maybe save a few $$ and remove the fairings yourself when you take her in? I figure the shop's going to charge about 1 hour to get them off.

If you have enough funds, I would suggest replacing both tires at the same time (if they have roughly equivalent wear/mileage). Just my opinion, though.

Comment

MD86 is right. It's cupping that you've got and it's time for new rubber.

I just bought from www.unlimitedtires.com at a fair price.

Placed the order at 5:30 in the morning. (yes, I have kids, can ya tell?) Found the same tire on sale for about $20 less for the pair somewhere else about 4 hours later while surfing on a break and tried to cancel the first order. These guys already had the order through shipping. Got them in to my door in 2 days.

Not only were they that fast on the processing and shipping, but when I tried to call and cancel, they were cool about the fact that someone else had them cheaper. They were going to let me refuse shipment and just eat the shipping. In the end, it wasn't worth the 4 bucks I would have saved, so for being cool about it, they got a sale out of the deal. I'll be going back to 'em.

Good luck.
              ND

Comment

What is the average tread life on the Z6's. I will need new tires next spring (up here I am getting ready to winterize), and from what I have read, they are fantastic. will most likely order them regardless, but would like to know.
                "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by River
                  I got quoted $500 flat for new front and rear Z6's - includes tires and installation.

Fair/good/bad price? Also includes my 4K service.
                  It's a bit high. The 4k service by itself ought to be $70 - $150 depending on the dealership and the brand of oil used, but it something you can do for yourself in under an hour (primarily it's just an oil change; the rest is just safety checks).

The tires can be scored cheap via AmericanMotoTire.com, at around $220 a pair last time I checked.

That tells me your dealer wants at least $100 to mount, and that's way too much. Call up Tom (TDR) and Dennis and see where they get theirs done. Betcha they know somewhere cheaper/better.

Originally posted by Lehbs
                  What is the average tread life on the Z6's. I will need new tires next spring (up here I am getting ready to winterize), and from what I have read, they are fantastic. will most likely order them regardless, but would like to know.
                  I get around 12 to 14k miles out of them before I'm ready to replace them (we're talking about the center grooves being just under 1mm to the bottom of the groove depth); the worst I've seen anyone get is around 10k.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll pipe in as well, make sure you call the shops first. I had a hard time finding one that would mount the tires if I didn't get the tires from them. Also, ask if they match or beat online pricing. The shop that I go to now, will beat any online price and only charges $20 per tire to install (I take the rims in). Plus, they can get the tires next day, and I don't have to pay for shipping. In the end, it's roughly the same price, but I don't have to buy the tires, and they are much friendlier at the shop. It's just a lot less hassle. On a plus note, they can get anything I find online and will beat the price.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Just thought I would chime in. The Pirelli Diablo Stradas are Great tires too (about the same price)
                      Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Comment

Working...
                      X