X

Tire Mounting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Mounting

Hey everyone... Can anyone tell me what the average cost is for mounting a tire? I don't think I can do it myself. I found the ME Z6's (160/60 & 120/60) at parts411.com for a total of 186.26. Of course now I have to have them mounted, and around the Southern VA area they want 65.00 EACH! It seems a bit steep to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's about $60 for both tires mounted around here. At some shops they charge a lot more, but that's what is the going rate.

However, there are a lot of great threads around on changing your own tires. I'll post up a link for you to a fantastic one that GT80 put up recently. The cost in tools is quickly recouped in mounting charges--especially if you go through tires quickly (you ride lots of miles, do a lot of trackdays, or use soft compound tires).

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Here you go:

click HERE

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

...and here is Wingspan's great balancing how-to.

HERE

Comment

Thanks alot. The info was great. Seems that the companies around here want to take advantage of the squidly sailors in the area. If I went with buying my own tools is storage of them....Gee, another tool in the shed? hmmmmm Maybe I can convince the wife? hmmmmmmm. Well maybe not!

Comment

Re: Tire Mounting

Does the cost that you quoted include removing and reinstalling the wheels? If you buy tires from them the dealer by me charges $80 to remove the wheels mount and balance the new tires and reinstall the wheel. If you do not buy the tires from them it is $150. If you bring in your wheels and tires to be mounted I think that it is around $25 a wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
              Does the cost that you quoted include removing and reinstalling the wheels? If you buy tires from them the dealer by me charges $80 to remove the wheels mount and balance the new tires and reinstall the wheel. If you do not buy the tires from them it is $150. If you bring in your wheels and tires to be mounted I think that it is around $25 a wheel.
              For mine, it's $60 for all of it if you buy there. If you bring your own tire, then it's an additional $20...I think per tire.

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
                For mine, it's $60 for all of it if you buy there. If you bring your own tire, then it's an additional $20...I think per tire.
                Can you save enough money by buying a tire from an online place to offset the additional mounting cost?

Comment

After it is all said and done, It is about the same cost if I have the dealer order them and have them install it. Maybe $20.00 or so. But I only have to do 1 trip to the dealer, instead of lugging tires on one trip, then taking the bike on the next. So, I guess I will just have them order the ME Z6 tires. Hey, would you replace both tires to have the same tread pattern? My front tire is still good, but it is a Macadam.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                    Can you save enough money by buying a tire from an online place to offset the additional mounting cost?
                    That's just the thing. The shop jacks up their tire prices so high, that it's a no-brainer that you buy your tires elsewhere and pay the extra money for the mounting. It comes out in your favor. I'm hoping that they don't catch on too quickly.

Comment

Screw that. People wonder why I mount my own tires............

I went through 6 sets last year. How much did I save by mounting my own?

Easily enough to pay for at least one set!
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I just need the tools to do it, bu then again I have friends that work at motorcycle shops. Can get it done after the shops close. But it is worth it in the long run to learn to do it yourself. I am just afraid of messing up my chrome on my rims.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                          Screw that. People wonder why I mount my own tires............

I went through 6 sets last year. How much did I save by mounting my own?

Easily enough to pay for at least one set!
                          ...The cost in tools is quickly recouped in mounting charges--especially if you go through tires quickly (you ride lots of miles, do a lot of trackdays, or use soft compound tires).

Comment

Originally posted by JCB
                            Hey, would you replace both tires to have the same tread pattern? My front tire is still good, but it is a Macadam.
                            To have the complimentary tire patterns (the front and back tire treads work together, with the front sweeping water, etc for the back), and to have the same apex shapes (so that when the bike leans, the frame isn't stressed by different angles), and other such issues. Plus the Macadam is really a pathetic tire.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, I heard enough, and bought a set of ME Z6 tires for my Kat today. 120/60 and 160/60's. They will be here and ready to go by the weekend. Woohoo Can't wait till I can feel the difference in her ride. Guess I better get to Cleanin' her up and getting my Creese bracket on........

Comment

Working...
                              X