X

Metzeler & Pilot Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metzeler & Pilot Power

I have Metzeler tires on my Kat, but the rear tire will need to be replaced but the front tire is almost new. I was thinking of putting on a Pilot Power on the rear. but I was wondering if I should ride with a Metzeler on the front and a Pilot on the rear due to the Pilot beng more sticky than the Metzeler. I can't afford to put 2 Pilots on the Kat. Any suggestions?

What Metzeler do you have on the front now?
    I ran the M1 on the front and a perelli Diablo on the rear with no problem. I am currently runing an M! front and Z6 rear now also with no problems. When it is time for new shoes on my Kat I will be going with the Z6 front and rear, plenty of stick and lots of miles out of the Z6 has me convinced that they are the tire for me..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Swap both tires if you want to move to the pilots, and sell the metzeler front on eBay. Depending on which Metzeler you have, I probably already ahve an ebay write-up for it...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Keep the Metz and dump the power. I have the Pilot Power on my bike and I will never put another Michellen tire on my bike again. Metzelers are a better tire all the way around. I use to run the M1's and loved them. Gave the pilot powers a try and I do not care for them.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
          Keep the Metz and dump the power. I have the Pilot Power on my bike and I will never put another Michellen tire on my bike again. Metzelers are a better tire all the way around. I use to run the M1's and loved them. Gave the pilot powers a try and I do not care for them.
          I'm not doubting your opinion at all, I'm just curious what it was about the pilots you didn't like... ???

Curious...
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
            Gave the pilot powers a try and I do not care for them.
            Really? My experience has been the exact opposite. I ran M1's on my old Katana, then on my TLR and have gone through at least 6 sets total. Now I've got Powers and would never go back to the M1.
            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

yea, HS2020 elaborate on that subject on the pilot powers. I am considering them but I dont want to spend $$$ for nothin' Do they feel schetchy ? they must fall in nice
              sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

I run nothing but Powers whether they be Pilots or Races and won't run anything else. I think it's more of a personal preference which one you have confidence in. I like the turn in characteristics of the PP's and the grip is pretty good too. What really sells them to me though is the feedback when leaned over. I can pretty much tell when the back is going to break loose. Now the droont, I can plow pretty hard if need be and they will whine a little to let ya know they are close to tucking.
                sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                MSF Rider Coach 27028
                MoPowerSports.com
                Torco
                SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I have the Pilot Power on my bike and I will never put another Michellen tire on my bike again. Metzelers are a better tire all the way around.
                  Jimmy, please put the crack pipe down and back away..........

The Pilot Power is superior to the M1 in every way, grip, wear, warm up time, wet weather, everything.

The Pilot Power is the best tire I have ever run for grip while the Strada is the best overall for grip and wear. You would have to GIVE me a set of M1's for me to run them again. I roasted two rears in under 1000 miles on both the Bandit and Futura and they got greasy when hot.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

The front of mine is wearing uneven. My front end has been completely rebuilt by the way. The PP were good at the start but since I have miles on them I find them wearing uneven and slipping on me. My M1's never did this to me. The PP might be better suited for a lighter bike and not the Kat. I never had a problem of uneven wear from the Metzlers. Like Gikerkat said it is a preference thing. You try different tires until you find the ones that you like best and suit your riding style. I guess I am partial to the Metzlers.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I had them on the Futura, and it weights a good 100lbs more than the Kat. Mostly two up and they ROCKED the whole time!

Different strokes, but there has never been a review that shows the M1's are better. God knows I'll never use them again.
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

The M1's are history, and production on them was stopped about eight months ago (replaced with the M3 RaceTecs).

Jimmy does bring up a good point -- that what may be an ideal tire for one particular bike's weight distribution and steering geometry may not be a good tire for any other bike, even if it has a similar total weight.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah I know the M1's are history. I am going to put a set of the new M3's on. I can get them from Ron Ayers for $225 shipped. Not to bad of a price.
                          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                          X