X

Product Review: Smartire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Review: Smartire

Smartire is an "Active Tire Pressure Monitoring For Motorcycles".

The reason I purchased this product is because I'm notoriously negligent about checking my tire pressure. I usaually start up, get on and go.

So when I had to prematurely replace my Pilot Powers with a new set, I bought this real time monitoring device from a local motorcycle shop.

WildKat did a small introduction of it about nearly two years ago (yes, I used the search button).

The dealer installed the transmitters when I had the new P-Pows installed, and just this evening I wired up the receiver to my Blue Sea fuse block. After programing it, which was simple, I went out for a ride this evening.

What was the most notable difference was the air temperature of the tires themselves. When I first started out of the driveway the cold temperature was 68F (20C) on both tires. I believe the cold air pressure was 33 psi. Then I took the bike on the freeway for about a 10 mile (16 km) run. While I was on the freeway doing about 80 mph (128 km/h) I checked the tire air temp. It read 97F (36C) front and 106F (41C) rear. Mind you these are air temperature readings, not rubber temp readings. But I didn't realize how much tire temperatures can fluctuate between cold and warmed up temps.

Over all I like this gadget. It will help me to monitor the tire pressure in the tires. It will also tell me when a tire falls below a preset psi reading. Meaning, if your out already running around and you unknowingly pick up a nail or screw (as I did, hence the premature replacement), it will detect the abnormal drop in pressure and give an alert on the display as to which tire is faulty.

Here's the web sire for Smartire. They also have products for cars, RVs and such.

Here's the pdf installation/owners manual. It's 9.2Mb, 51 pages long.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

What did they cost you?

How much balance mass was needed on your tires when they got balanced?

I'm also curious about the battery life on the in-wheel portion, but I'll check back with you when you know more definitively from your own experiences... 7 years estimated life listed in the manual isn't necessary the same as 7 years active transmitting...

Finally, I'm curious if Kawasaki licensed this for the Concours 14, or if they went a different direction with the system that was being farmed on the OEM level by Continental-Teeves (and whether that system uses batteries as well).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I bought it from WingWorx which specializes in Gold Wings. It cost me $199.95 + tax.

Regarding the added weights, the front has 3/4 oz at the valve stem. The rear was only 1/4 oz about 3-4 inches from the valve stem.

One thing I should add is the display, when the bike is in motion, does not display any numerical reading for pressure or temperature. Only the front and rear tire indicator, two bars in tandem. To get the readings of tire pressure, temperature etc while riding, you have to press the button.

I suppose that's good, you wont get distracted by reading a bunch of numbers while riding. Then when you stop for gas or food, press the button to check all those settings brfore turning off the bike. Otherwise you'll have to ride a least 6 mph to activate the transmitters. Of course when riding if the pressure drops or the temp rises above spec it will give an alert.

Another thing about the display is the color illumination is a nice cool (temperature not emotion) blue. A very similar blue as the Aprilia Futura, if anyone's familiar with the dash on the RST 1000.

Comment

Oh, there's one question I need to ask to those that know.

The manual gives no spec on fuse rating. Right now it's on a 5 amp fuse.

The manual says the receiver draws 60mA @12VDC. There are no other electrical specs for the receiver than that. Everything else is weight, size and operating temp.

Does anyone know what the fuse rating should be?

Comment

seems like a great addon but wow 200 bucks is a bit much for what you get i think.
          03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
            60mA @12VDC.
            1/2 amp fuse (if you can find one) will work. 1 amp will also work.

To put it another way:
            60 mA = 60 milliAmps = 60/1000ths of an Amp = 6/100ths of an Amp.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Originally posted by squiggy
              60mA @12VDC.
              1/2 amp fuse (if you can find one) will work. 1 amp will also work.

To put it another way:
              60 mA = 60 milliAmps = 60/1000ths of an Amp = 6/100ths of an Amp.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              That's it?!?!

Sheesh...that was easy.

Comment

Well, last Friday (12/22) I got my first warning indicator from the Smartire monitor. It was flashing the warning indicator and dispaying the rear as being low on air. The digital reading read "+4" meaning I needed to add 4 PSI of air.

When I got to work, I was only a 1/2 mile away, I checked to see if I had picked up a nail, but no nails or staples to be seen. So tire itself was just low on air. So at home I aired it up a little and all is well.

But it's nice to know that the product is working like it should.

Comment

Working...
                X