X

I need some tire advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some tire advice

I need some new tires. Right now they are just stock size on my 1996 600 kat (140/80 and 110/80). I was looking at the diablo or the Michellin pilot roads 110/80front, 150/70 rear. The diablo only comes in a 110/70 or a 120/70 for the front. Which ones should I go with? or neither? Will I encounter any problems? On the road or fitting them on?
    any help would be appreciated thanks
    Suzuki Katana GSX600F

No trouble fitting them. They are actually a little shorter than the factory 80 series tires. Plus, there is more technology in the common sized tires than the odd sized ones like the factory sizes for the Kat.

A 150 is a good choice for the rear. I am running a 150/60 actually. A 110/70 is good for the front, and a 120 will be a little wider, so look at your fender and see how much room you have. I know people on here have put 120's on the front, but for some reason, mine looks pretty full with a 110 in there.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Check out the tire upgrade section http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...aUpgrades.html
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

A couple things:

(A) Make sure that whatever size tire you go to, it matches the weight requirement specification for the bike's tires. You may find that closes out one of the diablo choices for you.

(B) You can always push the OEM tire size safely one width step in exchange for one height step. In other words, if the bike came from the factory with a 110/80, you can move to a 120/70. Ditto on the rear, going from a 140/80 to 150/70). A move to Z-rated radials on your particular bike is highly recommended for safety reasons, and is what Suzuki did during your model-span (i.e. - in the middle of the 88-97 models).

Unless you go knee-down canyon carving regularly, I'd suggest a set of Diablo Stratas (drier areas) or Metzeler Z6's (wetter areas) in 120/70ZR17 & 150/70ZR17 on your bike. If you do go knee-down, consider the pilots or the Metzeler M3 RaceTecs. You'll only get 1/3rd to half the lifespan out of the pilots & M3's, but at critical lean angles, they will provide a bit more grip in low-grip situations. That said, I've never over-driven my Z6's and there are some good pics around here of me pushing them (ditto of MD86 pushing their virtual clones, the Stradas).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well , what I've always found odd is the pre 600's come with a 140/80 , and the 750's get a 150/70 . So does that mean they pushed that one step already for the 750 ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Well , what I've always found odd is the pre 600's come with a 140/80 , and the 750's get a 150/70 . So does that mean they pushed that one step already for the 750 ?
            From what I understood, it was a year-break thing, with the 93 and earlier (or some such year) getting the 140/80 (as part of a pair of bias tires), and everything newer getting the 150/70 (as part of a pair of radials)...

At least that's what I gathered reading old Kat brochures and spec-sheets...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

tire 150/60/17

What about 150/60/17 instead of 150/70/17?
              I have a kat750 with dunlops and i don't feel confident enough to drag the knee. Any suggestions

Comment

Re: tire 150/60/17

Originally posted by rossi
                What about 150/60/17 instead of 150/70/17?
                I have a kat750 with dunlops and i don't feel confident enough to drag the knee. Any suggestions
                Seriously consider a different tire (brand/make) instead of a different size. The OEM Dunlops that come with the Kats aren't particularly trust-inspiring.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X