X

How Bad Is This?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad Is This?

I recently bought a 2000 katana 600 and have put about 500 or so miles on it. I have change chain and sprocket, oil, brake pads, and so on. But one thing I forgot to check this whole time I have been riding it is the tire pressure . I have been reading alot about it lately on the forums and I am going on a 400 mile trip tomorrow so I though I would check it tonight. I am running pilot's front and back. Front should be max 42psi, it was 19psi. Back should be max 41psi, it was 18psi . I had to double check these readings with a different gauge, I could not beleive it. I run more pressure in my bicycle tires, I am not sure how the tire just did not roll off of it's bead. The bike felt like it was cornering fine (this is my first bike so I have nothing to compare to). I bet this thing handles way better in the morning . I am almost afraid to go anywhere near the max so for now I am running 36psi in both front and rear. Has anyone here (that is willing to admit it) ever found that they were riding on this low of pressure?

thats pretty damm low your luck the tires didnt wash out on you in the middle of a turn good thing tho is that motorcycle tires are pretty stiff even with no air in them 36 psi should be ok depending on your weight if your a big guy or going to be riding two up u mite want to put a lil more in the back

Comment

I did exactly the same thing. Bought my 95 kat 600 and rode about 1,000 miles and never thought to check them. they felt and looked full and hard. never had a bike before and just didn't think about it. finally started reading katriders and decided to check. they were both between 15 and 20psi. i aired them up to about 35psi each and it was like a totally different bike. I "thought" it handled well before. Just wait till you take turns with the pressure where its supposed be.

Comment

Just fill them up and see if they look/feel funny . I knew a guy that did the same , and rode on those tires quite a while longer .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Any time I've found my pressure that low, it was because there was a puncture resulting in a slow-leak (such as a screw still in the carcass).

For your road-trip, I'd suggest 36 front, 38 rear on the stock tires, another 1 to 2lbs higher on most aftermarket tires. Why? Because tires wear and heat up as they deform at the contact patch when they roll along. A highspeed highway miles, that deformation puts in more heat more quickly, which results in more wear (think about it -- tire rubber is bonded together with heat, and thus localized heat at the top surface is the primary basis for wear).

You may want to seriously consider replacing or at least rebalancing your tires. Running particularly low on pressure can damage sidewalls & belts, create uneven tread wear (in addition to greatly accelerated tread wear), and may have created heat damage if you were cruising along like that on the highways for any extended period of time (if you find any discoloration into the blues or purples, or any bumps/lumps on your tires, replace them immediately!).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got back from my trip last night, 400 miles in one day is very exhausting. Man does my A** hurt. Anyway, the bike rides completely different now. I feel like I need to learn to ride the bike all over again . I have new tires on the way, they are shinko's, this is what my local shop suggested. The only size that was availiable in the back was a 180, I hope this will work . When I get them on I will let everyone know what I think of them.

Comment

Originally posted by loppydog
              I have new tires on the way, they are shinko's, this is what my local shop suggested. The only size that was availiable in the back was a 180, I hope this will work . When I get them on I will let everyone know what I think of them.
              Call the shop and tell them to cancel the order. You CAN NOT SAFELY MOUNT a 180 on a '00 Kat's stock rear rim, even if it was a desirable tire. Then tell them to order you a set of Metzeler Z6's in the OEM sizes (120/70ZR17 & 150/70ZR17) from PartsUnlimited, which should be the same place they get their Shinko's from. Damn idiots...

Or sidestep the idiot at that shop all together and order the right tires directly from:
              AmericanMotoTire.com
              DennisKirk.com
              RonAyers.com

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                (if you find any discoloration into the blues or purples
                Oh yeah ? My front's been bluish just off-center and towrds the edge for .... well , a WHILE . I guess I push the front more than the rear ....

Comment

I'm sorry cyberpoet I think I gave you the wrong size . I believe he ordered a 170. Is this still unsafe? I know It wont handle as good, but I did not know that until after I ordered it (and paid!). Thanks

Comment

BTW I have a 160 on it right now and it seems OK

Comment

I'm sorry cyberpoet I think I gave you the wrong size . I believe he ordered a 170. Is this still unsafe? I know It wont handle as good, but I did not know that until after I ordered it (and paid!). Thanks
                      Still unsafe.
                      160/60 is the largest you should go safely (the only exception is Avon, which makes a special 170 designed specifically to fit a [TYPO CORRECTED-->>]4.5" rear rim of a 98+ Kat).
                      My original advice still applies -- tell the idjit to cancel the order and get the right thing or go get it on your own and save yourself the margins.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I hope this does not sound like a stupid question, but are you sure my rear rim is 3.5". I dont know exactly how to mesure it, but it seems more like 5 or 5.5". I really want to cancel my order and I will try tomorrow if they are open. He told me it was a special order, so he will most likely tell me I cannot cancel. thanks

Comment

If it's stock , yes .

Comment

I have no idea if it is stock, but I did find a number on it. It is J17xMT4.50. That leads me to beleive that it is a 4.5" rim. The rim does have suzuki on it. I hope this helps.

Comment

I hope this does not sound like a stupid question, but are you sure my rear rim is 3.5". I dont know exactly how to mesure it, but it seems more like 5 or 5.5". I really want to cancel my order and I will try tomorrow if they are open. He told me it was a special order, so he will most likely tell me I cannot cancel. thanks
                              If he claims he can not cancel your order (in other words will not), seriously consider calling the credit company or bank you used to pay for it (if you didn't pay in cash) and ask that they hold the transaction.
                              Recommending inappropriate and potentially seriously dangerous choices on a special order is ludicrious (if it was all he had on the shelf and you were desperate, it might have been a different story -- but he had the opportunity to guide to you a suitable selection size right from the outset on a special order).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X