X

Bent fork, what do i do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent fork, what do i do?

ok, so i just bought a 98 kat 750. it was layed down on the right side, and the nice new yosh can it had was all messed up. an asessment of the damage is as follows:

timing cover broke (new one ordered)
    side fairing all scratched up
    big plastic bracket under fairing broke
    and right side fork tube is bent. i can tell by looking down it, it has about an 1/8th inch deflection from top of tube to where it ges into the lower tube.
    other minor cosmetic damage

now, my father works at a place where he rebuilds motors. which means he has the testing equipment to check tube runout. i am curious, is it possible to straighten a slightly tweaked fork tube with v blocks and a hydraulic press?

or should i just get new ones?

anyone have any laying around?

and should i run 15 wt oil in it or the regular 10?

thanks in advance for the help, i appreciate it.

Brandon

I have done it many times, put the tube in v-blocks,and use an indicator to check runout,then useing adequate support and protection for the tubes,put them in the press. I have gone from a 1/4 inch runout to .001"of an inch.Make sure there are no marks around the seal area, and you shouild be okay.Good luck.
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

It might be easiest to search ebay for a good fork, but it's still repairable....

My thought is that you should probably stick to 10W, unless you have some desire to change the rebound characteristics....
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Re: Bent fork, what do i do?

Originally posted by flyguyeddy
        and right side fork tube is bent. i can tell by looking down it, it has about an 1/8th inch deflection from top of tube to where it ges into the lower tube.
        Can be fixed, if you do it well. I never do it well, so I replace the tube itself (there aftermarket suppliers that can furnish the standard 42mm tube for $75 or so -- I get 'em via a local shop here that won't divuldge their source).

Originally posted by flyguyeddy
        and should i run 15 wt oil in it or the regular 10?
        Depends mostly on your weight and whether the springs are still good. If you weigh over 200 lbs, I'd suggest moving up (you can effectively get 12.5 by mixing half-and-half between 10 and 15 weight), plus consider the Ohlin fork springs that I offer (about 15-20% stiffer than OEM). At 300 lbs, I'd say go for the 15 weight and a significantly stiffer set of fork springs via RaceTech.com

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

does anyone have the part number for the fork seals?

can you get back to me about those fork tubes, i may be interested in a new set here pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
          X