X

ohlins shock question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohlins shock question

I was installing my shock this evening (ohlins) on a 2003, 750. The lower bolt is too short to work with ohlins. With the original shock it would thread in to the lower bracket. Looks like I will have to get a longer bolt and nut to make this work. Did any one else run in to this problem?
    www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

You sure you don't have the shock upside-down, or that gimpy hunk of aluminum linkage that the dogbones connect to upside down? Mine went in fine, using the stock hardware, and BOTH the stock dogbones/shorter dogbones....

Are ya goin' bananas?.....
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

One idea:

Measure the bolt length. The shank should be (sans the head) 52mm long, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As CP knows, I ran into the same problem. Yes the stock bolt does in fact measure 52 mm. However, the base of the Ohlins is noticeably beefier than the stock shock, and the stock bolt does not thread all the way through the nut. I already have the Ohlins installed, and I am not going to remove it just to take a picture for comparison. A 60 mm bolt would be perfect, but since it is JIS, it is already a little difficult to find a similar flange bolt. I used a normal M10 x 1.25 x 75 hex bolt with washers, but if anyone finds an M10 x 1.25 x60 flange bolt, get it for me.

BTW, took my first ride today on the Ohlins. Even with the factory settings, the difference is fantastic. The ride is noticeably more firm and secure. The bike changes direction far more easily and feels more controllable. Just weaving back and forth in my lane, the bike felt more compliant and the feel diving into and pulling out of a corner is much improved. If you have the money, I VERY HIGHLY recommend that you get one while CP has a couple left! After those are gone, they will cost more than twice as much.

Now I really need to do the front end. 8)

Comment

Same here, took my first ride withe ohlins shock and springs, well worth the effort. As per the bolt I will look this week at the dealer if the one on 600 is longer. (If they have one on the floor)
          www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

Working...
          X