X

brake pad brands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake pad brands

hey guys I was wondering what is a good brand for brake pads, and rotors?
    Noah
    93 Katana 600

Galfer

Comment

EBC for the pads
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I just bought Galfer lines, wave rotors (all three), and pads (green front, black rear) from cyclebrakes.com. They were incredibly helpful and enthusiastic about it, (musta been the group buy - they made a lot of cash!) and service was almost instantaneous.....

I think my total bill was about $1K US for all of it, 'cause I also needed the B-12 braided clutch line as well.

Click!
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Damn..you bought the wave rotors? I'm jealous.

Comment

Yeah...I wanna be like Spedee...he's my hero.

I can't get url's to work right. I entered:

[ url=www.cyclebrakes.com] click! [/url]

above (with no space after the first bracket) and it won't give me the proper link. Am I doing it wrong? Or just going crazy....?
            FrankenKat 1216
            GS Fiter 816
            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I think you need the http:// in front of it to make it work.
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Mwa ha!

I have a new hero! Sorry Spedee....
                FrankenKat 1216
                GS Fiter 816
                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

A lot of it depends on what you want.

Brake pads are rated by compound friction rates, and any GG compound will be approximately equal to each other (G rating = 45 to 55% friction rate). Once you move to HH compound pads (the highest friction classification), the story changes radically, because HH represents anything above a 55% friction rate.

In my experience, EBC's HH pads were the grabbiest, fastest-stopping pads available for the Kat. Enough so that I have to warn other HH pad users when they jump on my bike (such as Special K) to be cautious about it.

HH pads are acceptible for street use, but if you do track days on short tracks, or are doing a lot of canyon carving (esp. down-hill), you should use GG pads instead, because HH pads do build up heat at a much faster rate as a result of their increased friction rates, which can prove problematic in situations where you are repeatedly on the brakes for much of the time.

For rear brakes, unless you are extremely skilled and well past all your possible panic reactions, I would recommend sticking to the OEM stock GG rated pads, which are thicker than any aftermarket pads I've seen for the rear.

Lines: Lots of companies make good lines (Hel, Gaffer, etc) and it's not brain surgery. Look for steel sheathed, teflon lined lines.

Rotors: Gaffer and EBC both offer contoured petal or wave (same thing, different name) rotors for the Kat, as well as standard rotors. The contoured rotors reduce the rotor weight, but more importantly is the number of holes or slots in the rotor (which permit trapped gases that form between the pad and the rotor to vent instead of causing glazing build-up).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

braking and ebc. are very nice and affordable. i have a set of each for the kat and they come in the wave style. pads ebc. actualy i have both in stock and the new models are coming out. might have to add to the colection. and i agree with cyber hel brake line are the way to go. and i will be having a sale on the soon.

Comment

Buddy of mine just picked up some new Galfer wave rotors..oh man are they sweet on his Gixxer 750

Comment

Working...
                      X