Spacer length for Ohlins springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacer length for Ohlins springs

Hey guys, first post woohoo...

I have ordered some Ohlins springs for my 1990 GSX600FL (though I am pretty sure the forks are off a different year, having caps held by a cir-clip instead of a screw in cap) which should arrive tomorrow and are rated for my weight and the bike.

The supplier of the springs are going to cut me some spacer tube that I then have to cut to the desired length. I am wondering if anyone knows an approximate length just to give me a starting point.

It appears as if the original spacers have already been cut by the previous owner, so even with the original spacer and spring I wont be able to just measure and compare for the new parts, and they told me the new springs are a little shorter anyways.

I would appreciate any help on an approx. length for the spacer from anyone who has done these springs before, or just the original spacer and spring length, or an approx. length of the spring and spacer out of the top of the inner tube when fully extended.

Cheers

Originally posted by johannis View Post
    Hey guys, first post woohoo...

I have ordered some Ohlins springs for my 1990 GSX600FL (though I am pretty sure the forks are off a different year, having caps held by a cir-clip instead of a screw in cap) which should arrive tomorrow and are rated for my weight and the bike.

The supplier of the springs are going to cut me some spacer tube that I then have to cut to the desired length. I am wondering if anyone knows an approximate length just to give me a starting point.

It appears as if the original spacers have already been cut by the previous owner, so even with the original spacer and spring I wont be able to just measure and compare for the new parts, and they told me the new springs are a little shorter anyways.

I would appreciate any help on an approx. length for the spacer from anyone who has done these springs before, or just the original spacer and spring length, or an approx. length of the spring and spacer out of the top of the inner tube when fully extended.

Cheers

It's a variable depending on your setup, not something you mimic from the prior parts. You should read (IE-search) the how to set up your suspension threads on that.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah I figured, the new springs are 257mm and the originals are supposed to be >412mm so there will be a lot of spacer to get the suspension in the correct range of motion, just curious if anyone had a starting point (obviously a bit longer) so I don't cut the spacer material to short before measuring the sag the first time. I understand that I will then have to gradually cut this shorter to first get the correct sag that I can then adjust more minutely with the preload adjustment screw that mine appears to have.

Comment

If the caps are held with clips, I believe they are from a '88 model and were only made one year only. Also, if I remember correct the brakes may be different as well but I'm not totally sure. You may find yourself disappointed in the future because I know for certain the lower legs are different than later models. That means you can't interchange parts from 89-97 with yours. I hope I didn't just ruin your day. :-/

EDIT: You may be in luck, because according to Race Tech the springs are the same up until '06. Sorry about that, but the brakes do have different part number so ...
        Last edited by katanarider; 11-07-2015, 08:18 AM.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
        X