X

Front rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front rotors

Is there play allowed between the front rotors and the rotor carrier?

I can move the rotor back and forth ever so slightly before the " donuts " keep the rotor from moving on the carrier.

* By 'donuts' i mean the circular peices that join the rotor and its carrier.
    91 Kat 600
    02 B12 S
    03 YFM660RR
    00 TRX 250D

Floating discs. It's normal.
    Bike is sold

Comment

There's a specification in the manual about how easily they should float (not very) and how far they should be able to wiggle. Over years, the floating hubs can wear down, especially if the rotor is warped (meaning it moves back and forth once every rotation, at least when the brakes are on).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I could not find any spec in the haynes manual. I was just basically asking how much play is unsafe (?). As long as it's under around 1/8 inch(?)
        91 Kat 600
        02 B12 S
        03 YFM660RR
        00 TRX 250D

Comment

I don't know what the spec is for the pre-98's, but in general, if you can push it back and forth with a single finger and no serious effort, it's probably worn beyond the limit. The way it's mounted, it should move flat to the wheel when pushed (i.e. - travel evenly on all the hubs), and not be permitted to go off at an angle unless the carrier hubs are worn excessively.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X