X

Want to do 1200 bandit rear shock mod for 750 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to do 1200 bandit rear shock mod for 750 kat

I wanted to thank you all for the help. After the new tires, the wobble is completely gone! So yes, you guys told me so, I though it was the way last set I tires had worn. I just thought it might help on the track but I ran my fastest lap ever on Friday!! Thanks to all that replied. I hope to have some videos of it, some onboard footage would be cool. Thanks again guys, anyone here of a 1200 bandit rear spring/shock, that would be one of the last mods I will do, other than fixing blinkers. I'm a big guy and like to take wife for rides and have thought about doing the 1200 bandit rear spring swap but so far the stock works great. I guess with the remote resevore on the 1200 shock, dampens better. A lot of people done that here?

GytRDunKat has done it.

Comment

You want the 09+ R6 shock or rework your current shock.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

With the right mods the 1200 shock will fit fine. Talk to Kreylyn or Tmod. The R6 is also an option (08+) but it will lower the rear end slightly.

I had a 1200 shock on my build, but it was a gen I which is close to the same as stock by is still not rebuildable.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Response is specifically for a b12 on a PRE-kat (88-97 models)...

I LOVE it! had to get that out of the way.

That said, it really needs to be rebuilt and have shims added. (Tmod does this!) The stroke on the B12 shock is a tad long, and the spring isn't right. Buy a spring, have shims added to very slightly shorten the stroke on the shock, and you will have an awesome performing shock. (Tmod does this!) FYI... no external resevoir, just a better working shock over OEM kat shocks.

Even shimmed my b12 shock raised the rear about 1 3/4". I'm 6' even, 200lbs, and it fits "right" for me.

Huge improvement in performance, rides alot better solo or 2 up, and no more clearance issues with the pegs (I can get over alot better and further for handling).

The reason for the shims is to slightly shorten the stroke on the b12 shock. This needs to be done because the OEM shock will contact the edge of the spring and the cushion link of the suspension due to the long stroke. Every time the swingarm extends down, they will hit. By adding a few shims this will prevent that from happening. (Tmod does this!)

If you don't want the height increase, there are other options. The 90-92 GSXR 750 rear shocks can be rebuilt, have an external res, and are aprox the same length as the OEM kat for a good rebuild shock to keep the same height.

The 08+r6 shock will drop the height by 3/4".

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            If you don't want the height increase, there are other options. The 90-92 GSXR 750 rear shocks can be rebuilt, have an external res, and are aprox the same length as the OEM kat for a good rebuild shock to keep the same height.
            I have a '92 gsxr 1100 unit with the remote res on my pre 750 (built by Tmod) and it works great.. needs a bigger spring for my heft.. but other than that it made a huge improvement. The mounting of the remote res was a snap... I mounted it where the charcoal canister was on my cali model.
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

will a 08 busa rear fit?
              Tyberious Rasputen Von-rotten Shagnasty
              True story

Comment

Originally posted by dorkduf7 View Post
                will a 08 busa rear fit?
                "fit" and "improvement" are two different things.

Comment

UGHHHH.... My rear shock blew out, so totally wanting to do the 2" ride height, althought I'm thinking about the r6 shock as well, seems easy enough, although I'm 6'5 sooooo the 2" would be nice!

Kreylyn, any advice?

Pre-kat 750
                  Last edited by QuakkedUp; 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by QuakkedUp View Post
                    UGHHHH.... My rear shock blew out, so totally wanting to do the 2" ride height, althought I'm thinking about the r6 shock as well, seems easy enough, although I'm 6'5 sooooo the 2" would be nice!

Kreylyn, any advice?

Pre-kat 750

Um... buy an 02+ b1200 shock and send it to Tmod (Terry at Racetech.com) and have him build it to your specs.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X