X

Home made Cartridge Emulator idea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetable View Post
    If you had ever held an emulator in your hand, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

katanarider, as much as I love to build my own parts and do fabrication work, there are a few areas when I just shut up and listen, then do what is suggested to me. Suspension innards is the number one thing I don't alter unless I know EXACTLY what I'm going to be doing to not only the components, but the overall quality of the suspension itself. When it comes right down to it, I have 2 major resources for m/c suspension information. The Race Tech Bible, and Tmod. If I can't figure out what I've read in the R/T bible, I know Tmod will always have an answer for me. I'm not discrediting you or your knowledge of suspensions, but if there were a better, cheaper way of modding this stuff properly, it would have been done by now....

just my $.02

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Its cool. I appreciate everyones input.
        I'm under the impression that the Emulators were designed to fuction with multiple makes/models of bikes. So yeah, the Race Tech pieces are good if you plan on selling them to every bike manufacture that uses dampening rods.
        My idea comes to me from what I've learned by reading about the emulators and tampering with my own bike.
        I give Tmod props for being so helpful even though he sells Race Tech equipment. THANKS TMOD
        But, to the guys that say "we wouldn't be having this converstion if I ever held a emulator in my hand" have still not explained their reason for saying that. So we aren't having any conversation now are we guys. I'm not a complete dumby. I'm open to peoples remarks so fire away.
        Until I understand just why they say that then I'm sticking with my own thoughts.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

hey guys, i am gonna take the cold air from my AC in my car, and redirect it back into the intake...colder air = more power

seriously, the right springs and emulator work great.....

Comment

I'm not calling you an idiot, I'm merely pointing out the fact that very smart people design and market the emulators.

Yes, you are correct that they are designed to work with a broad range of bikes... but a damper rod fork is a damper rod fork is a damper rod fork. On the inside they all work the same way, there's nothing special.

Creating a digressive valve from scratch that performs to the characteristics required for the suspension to operate correctly will be an expensive, and time consuming operation. A digressive valve contains pistons and openings that allow it to "act" differently under different inputs.

What you are suggesting sounds to me like a binary adjustment system it's either on or off.

My caution is that you don't make up some part to 'get off cheap' and end up injuring yourself in the process. So now the cartridge emulators cost something like $100-$150 dollars. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to manufacture a reasonable substitute at that cost point, especially factoring in the time and material costs.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
              hey guys, i am gonna take the cold air from my AC in my car, and redirect it back into the intake...colder air = more power
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
              X