X

setup suggestions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup suggestions...

I have been reading up trying to find what others have done to improve the suspension setup and I think I may have an idea of what I will do. My budget for my build is coming close to being all dried up ( unless I can get a few more expense checks in ). So I am looking for the best bank for the buck on helping out the suspension. And to try and get an idea of how much I need to get it all setup...

I have read that the 750 was set up for a 170ish lbs rider. Well I am about 20 over that and add in the extra bit of weight from the B12 and that is more or less my starting point. My goal is crisp / smooth handling that leans a bit more towards sport but one you can also still be on for 7 hours.

Will just emulators up front give me this? Tmods cap preload adjusters on top of those? new springs as well? my biggest gripe about the front is the dive on braking.

What about the rear? the 750 has rebound and preload adjustably. Is their any real advantage in upgrading or switching this out?

Currently the bikes suspension has about 5600 miles on it
    Last edited by rob845; 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM.
    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

My suggestion, if your on a tight budget, would be to upgrade the springs first. You can upgrade to emulators and whatnot when you have the funds. Tmod can point you in the right direct with Racetech. I just rebuilt my forks and put in their springs, much improved feel, granted I havent finished an ridden the bike yet lol.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I would move up a step in oil weight..
      Then try the $1 spacer upgrade. If you like it then use Tmod's adjustable ones.
      As far as spending money, yeah springs,..
      If your rear shock is a bit knackered, hit up ebay for one of the swaps.

Comment

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
        I have been reading up trying to find what others have done to improve the suspension setup and I think I may have an idea of what I will do. My budget for my build is coming close to being all dried up ( unless I can get a few more expense checks in ). So I am looking for the best bank for the buck on helping out the suspension. And to try and get an idea of how much I need to get it all setup...

I have read that the 750 was set up for a 170ish lbs rider. Well I am about 20 over that and add in the extra bit of weight from the B12 and that is more or less my starting point. My goal is crisp / smooth handling that leans a bit more towards sport but one you can also still be on for 7 hours.

Will just emulators up front give me this? Tmods cap preload adjusters on top of those? new springs as well? my biggest gripe about the front is the dive on braking.

What about the rear? the 750 has rebound and preload adjustably. Is their any real advantage in upgrading or switching this out?

Currently the bikes suspension has about 5600 miles on it
        (1) Get yourself some new fork springs

(2) No emulators alone will not give you what you are seeking. Springs first.

(3) Search around here for members that have a revalved shock and read what they say about it. There is nothing wrong with the stock post 750 shock as long as it valved correctly.

Here is a link to members that I have done the revalve of the shock.

Tmod

Comment

Ya I was looking at race techs site on springs. They suggested the .95 for just a shade over $100. Not bad at all.

Thanks I will definitely look into the revalve.
          '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Rear shock revalve ftw
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Im running progressive springs, 1/2" longer on the spacer (pvc spacer) with 15w synthetic fluid, fork settings in the stock location.

For me the rear shock works well once it was set up properly. Im 180. I went slightly stiffer on the preload, 1 or 2 clicks stiffer from stock
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
              X