X

Rear Brake Upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Upgrade

So im doing this for the first time and wondered if anyone had any tips? ive just bought a new EBC rear disc, HEL braided line and EBC HH pads and im planning on rebuilding my caliper because it looks like the pistons are stuck with brake dust...

my bike is a 1993 gsx600f
    GSX600F - micron slip on, iridium spark plugs, HID kit, mesh mod, shovel chop, rear hugger, led gauge lights, led indicators and running lights, R1 led brake light, flip up tinted screen, rim tape, SS brake lines...

The rear brakes locks up easily enough. With HEL lines and HH pads (Which I have on my bike) The rear brake will skid with just the slightest pressure. My recommendation, rebuild to stock specifications.

P.S. No input needed from Scottynoface about rear tires skidding.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

i guess ill have to be very gentle then, ive already purchased the parts... :/ do you have any recommendations for fitting or cleaning etc?
      GSX600F - micron slip on, iridium spark plugs, HID kit, mesh mod, shovel chop, rear hugger, led gauge lights, led indicators and running lights, R1 led brake light, flip up tinted screen, rim tape, SS brake lines...

Comment

Originally posted by ukdan92 View Post
        So im doing this for the first time and wondered if anyone had any tips? ive just bought a new EBC rear disc, HEL braided line and EBC HH pads and im planning on rebuilding my caliper because it looks like the pistons are stuck with brake dust...

my bike is a 1993 gsx600f
        i put the HH pads on my post Kat in the front and organic pads on rear and can lock the rear kind of easy. leave off the braided line and spend your money upgrading the front brakes.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

i only really use the rear brake in slow moving traffic but my oem brake line has sort of corroded somehow cos of the PO, i have HEL lines and HH pads ready to go on the front but my pads, disc and line for the rear are all mot failures at the minute! :s

Comment

Replace the line... OEM is out of date after 4 years. In the future though, just get the cheapest rear pads.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay, thanks for all of your advice

Comment

My name is jason, and I like skidding through intersections with both wheels locked up
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

lol saw that one coming
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    My name is jason, and I like skidding through intersections with both wheels locked up
                    Skillz, I haz them.
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Yeah, if I could take one 'upgrade' back, I wouldn't have put the rear ss line on.

Let me add, by saying super easy to lock up the rear would be an understatement. I actually moved my brake lever down so that I'd have to damn near snap my ankle to lock it up. Think Panic Brake. Your first instinct is to smash the brakes. Luckily, you have a pre, and you can move the brake pedal down.
                      Last edited by GytRDunKat; 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

yeah i think moving the pedal down will be something to do once everythings installed i have run into a slight problem or two though, the pins that hold my pads in are seized in place, any idea how to get them out? also the 2 nuts that hold my caliper in one piece wont budge so i cant get the pistons out to clean properly or replace the seals..

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                          Yeah, if I could take one 'upgrade' back, I wouldn't have put the rear ss line on.
                          Ahhh you young kids lack the subtly you gain from age.
                          Not fitting a SS line means you're running a 10 year old line that could just as likely fail as not. So if you want the rubbery feeling you get form the stock line you should still be replacing them..

Remember that SS lines don't give you better breaking really. You just don't loose braking you should have. Yeah it's easy to lock up. Especially because the weight shifts under braking and unloads the rear. But you just can't treat it like your truck.. I wouldn't use HH pads on the rear though, that I'll agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by ukdan92 View Post
                            yeah i think moving the pedal down will be something to do once everythings installed i have run into a slight problem or two though, the pins that hold my pads in are seized in place, any idea how to get them out? also the 2 nuts that hold my caliper in one piece wont budge so i cant get the pistons out to clean properly or replace the seals..
                            the pins... well if their seized like that, i would probably just use some good ol' muscle to pry them out, and replace them with some new ones...

the 2 nuts... i would take some penetrating fluid, and spray it on there, let it sit for a few hours, and repeat... for a day or two... should unlock them pretty easily... if not... get some more leverage on you wrench (breaker bar) ... and if the get stripped or anything else, replace as necassary... the way i think about things, is i would rather break an old part, and replace it, then have it break on me

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                            "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

sounds like a good plan, i might file off the round edges on either side to get some leverage, then just replace them.

ill soak my nuts overnight and see if i can get them moving!

i think the difference in feel between HH pads and the ones one at the minute will be massive because the PO had them down to bare metal!

Comment

Working...
                              X