X

Adjusted rear shock.....wow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusted rear shock.....wow

I can't beleive the difference in the performance since I adjusted/tweaked my rear shock a bit.

I do quite a bit of 2-up riding with my gal, and never really checked into this until today.

I adjusted the rebound to 4, and the tension on the spring itself to 7. Unbeleavable the difference in handling. Now my fronts feel mushy.

Think its time to rebuild, or at least change the oil.

Can't wait to try it on tommorows local Biker Benefit...150+ mile ride.

Yay.
    My sig is boring.

you could always try to increase your front shocks a click or two. But I'd say since it's a 98 maybe new fork oil and seals may help. Unless they've been done as the sceduale recommends.
    Kyle

Comment

Re: Adjusted rear shock.....wow

Originally posted by KnightRider
      I adjusted the rebound to 4, and the tension on the spring itself to 7. Unbeleavable the difference in handling. Now my fronts feel mushy.
      Just remember, if you need to set the spring to full compression (7 out of 7 for the OEM spring) to get good spring response, that shock is probably on it's last legs...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
        what should be a good shock setup for me (230 pounds) i ride 2 up alot too. i think now its set to a 4 but its way to mushy has alot of sag, when i brake hard my gf says the back set feels like its lifting up way to much also. does the rebound or compression help with that stuff or both ha....
        You should probably try spring pre-tension 5 or 6 and damping to 4 or 5 for yourself, then up the preload 1 when the GF will be along. There are good ways to measure static sag and arrive at good baselines for yourself given any bike; a quick search on here for the phrase "static sag" or on the net will give you that info.

The spring pre-compression helps the spring stay in an optimal range for the rider/load weight (by pre-loading the spring, it adds tension to the set-up, so it can react better to your higher weight, bringing the rear wheel back to the ground faster when it raises going over a bump).

The damping handles how fast the shock mechanism actually quells the yo-yo action of a spring set into motion (in this case, the spring of the rear shock assembly). Stiffer means it takes more force to start the spring moving, but also that it stops the motion faster. Too little and the rear will yo-yo over a bump. Too much and too much of the road imperfections will come through to your butt. The right set-up sucks up the harsh stuff and yet keeps the shock from yo-yo'ing.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Adjusted rear shock.....wow

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by KnightRider
          Just remember, if you need to set the spring to full compression (7 out of 7 for the OEM spring) to get good spring response, that shock is probably on it's last legs...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          The main reason I did this was to quo the teeter-totter effect I was having when riding 2-up. I suppose we'll see if I get the shock through the butt....it
          s pretty stiff.
          My sig is boring.

Comment

Working...
          X