No announcement yet.
X

front caliper upgrades ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw somebody said that a kat had 4 piston calipers, I dont know about the pre- '98 models but all 98+ models have dual twin piston sliding calipers. As far as aluminum being strong enough, if you have the right alloy and the right thickness aluminum is more than strong enough to handle the relatively small loads that the calipers would demand on a 460 lb bike. And I say relatively small load meaning that on an automotive application stopping a 4000 lb car they use aluminum caliper mounts made of no more than 3/4 inch aluminum all day long. As far as the stock brakes on these being good, they may be adaquate but they can definately be improved even if it were just braided lines and better pads......
    2004 Katana 600
    D&D carbon fiber slip-on
    Factory ignition advancer
    K&N Filter
    Dynojet jet kit

Comment

My 95 has 4 piston calipers,,
      not twin sliders..

Comment

oh ok, well the 98+ has twin 2 piston sliders in the front and 2 piston opposed in the rear. does your 95 have a single front rotor or dual ???
        2004 Katana 600
        D&D carbon fiber slip-on
        K&N Filter
        Dynojet jet kit

Comment

My 95 has dual front rotors..
          Oh and a caliper for each rotor.. So If your anygood at math that means 8 pistons..

Wow no wonder my brakes work so good!

Comment

yeah I would say that is an explanation for your brakes working well, i just wonder if your 4 piston calipers would fit a 98+ model, if so that could be a possible upgrade for the newer kats..................
            2004 Katana 600
            D&D carbon fiber slip-on
            K&N Filter
            Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Originally posted by pmkls1
              yeah I would say that is an explanation for your brakes working well, i just wonder if your 4 piston calipers would fit a 98+ model, if so that could be a possible upgrade for the newer kats..................
              If you go that route, you need to also swap out master cylinders valve assy, as the master cylinder pump assy is designed specifically to match the travel of the existing calipers.

PS - I'm not convinced that 4 pistons is necessarily any better than two, as long as they are both maintained fully; the amount of pressure they can modulate onto the brake pads should be equal.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I definately agree that master cylinders need to be changed in relation to the type of calipers used, however, in theory the more pistons a caliper has the more clamping load it can produce effectively. And the change in size isnt related to the amount of fluid displaced by the pistons in the calipers vs. the amount of fluid the master cylinder displaces. It would be the mechanical equivalent to using a longer bar to gain leverage, the longer the bar the more leverage, however, the drawback is that the travel distance becomes longer in relation to the length of the bar, therefore you have to have a cylinder that displaces enough fluid to move the pistons in the right amount of travel but not displacing too much as you would lose the mechanical advantage needed to apply enough pressure. I do understand that it may not be necessary to change calipers to upgrade the performance on the brakes on these bikes but it can add performance as long as all of the components are properly matched.......
                2004 Katana 600
                D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                K&N Filter
                Dynojet jet kit

Comment

...however, in theory the more pistons a caliper has the more clamping load it can produce effectively...
                  Since either caliper design can induce enough clamp-load to produce a stoppie (the reasonable user limit of application of brake clamping force), I can't necessarily see the advantage of adding pistons between the two stock set-ups.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well the only advantage would be dexterity and/or the ease of which a stoppie could be executed. but with my stock setup i cant do that, or at least i havent been able to thus far........... but my point about the clamp load extends to applications beyond our bikes to virtually anything with disk brakes on it. it just may not be necessary in our particular situation......
                    2004 Katana 600
                    D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                    K&N Filter
                    Dynojet jet kit

Comment

I can make a stock Kat do it, but swapping out to some HH-rated pads will make a stoppie a three-finger job (two finger if you're determined). I use EBC HH pads and am hyper-pleased with the stopping power.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        I can make a stock Kat do it, but swapping out to some HH-rated pads will make a stoppie a three-finger job (two finger if you're determined). I use EBC HH pads and am hyper-pleased with the stopping power.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        well i never debated that statement at all and I actually just carried out the debate mostly to see just how smart you really are and like I thought I am not disappointed at all with your wisdom. I am still going to try the braided line and HH-rated pads to see how i like and i am cinfident i will be pleased with that. however i do think i am going to trade for a zzr 600 next spring because i my thirst for power is never satisfied..........
                        2004 Katana 600
                        D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                        K&N Filter
                        Dynojet jet kit

Comment

well i never debated that statement at all and I actually just carried out the debate mostly to see just how smart you really are .
                          That sort of thing isn't what we do here..
                          Maybe there is another forum that will serve you better..
                          Katriders isn't about testing members...
                          It's about sharing what we know and what we like about Katanas
                          It's about helping each other..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            well i never debated that statement at all and I actually just carried out the debate mostly to see just how smart you really are .
                            perhaps you misunderstood my statement there but i didnt mean that i was testing him i started the thread looking for information and during the process a harmless debate began over there being a need for the better calipers. and you did get it right this forum is about sharing information and that is pretty much what a debate is is the sharing of information between people which is not to be mistaken as an arguement that doesnt go anywhere.......
                            2004 Katana 600
                            D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                            K&N Filter
                            Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                              perhaps you misunderstood my statement there but i didnt mean that i was testing him i started the thread looking for information and during the process a harmless debate began over there being a need for the better calipers. and you did get it right this forum is about sharing information and that is pretty much what a debate is is the sharing of information between people which is not to be mistaken as an arguement that doesnt go anywhere.......
                              HMMMM, can I be tested

I think if someone is willing to give out info and other's agree, what more do you need?
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i think a good civilized debate is a good thing because it ultimately leads to a lot of facts, information, and opinions being shared and all involved parties generally come out smarter or at least better educated hence the saying two heads are better than one.........
                                2004 Katana 600
                                D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                                K&N Filter
                                Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Working...
                                X