No announcement yet.
X

Brake Rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What all would they have had to change in the to get the pre wheel and caliper to work?

Comment

98-02 still used the dished rotor.

If your wheel is straight spoked 3.5 rim (it's stamped on the rim for the size) then 98-02 is the year of the front rim.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I will check the front wheel tonight, is the rear wheel stamped and spoked the same way for those years.

Comment

Originally posted by jschatz View Post
          Thanks for the info everyone. I will check the front wheel tonight, is the rear wheel stamped and spoked the same way for those years.
          Yes, but the rear wheels are the same for 98-06. The front end of the Kat was changed in 03, going with a wider spacing for the forks and a wider hub on the rim (but the rim size is still a 3.5 rim 98-06) and thus the reason for the difference in rotors.

By checking ... straight spokes, 3.5" rim, dished rotors.... that describes 98-02 wheels.

Might want to measure the distance between the forks, as it's possible the entire front end has been switched out, and is something you would want to know for future reference.

Another thing to consider, is the 03+ wheels have a larger OD on the front axle as well... 17mm for 03+, 15 mm for 98-02 I believe...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

that is correct. 98-02 are dished, 03-06 are flat. The seller on ebay did NOT advertise them wrong. You have a 98-02 front end set up. I have a good set of 98-02 rotors BTW. PM me if your interested.

Comment

I just thought I would let everyone who helped me figure out which wheels I have and what rotors I need, Thank you very much.

To add to the fact that I have a pre front wheel, I have a set of forks from a 98-2002 in the k3 style because my front axel doesnt have a nut and the left fork is threaded. I believe both calipers will work so all I should have to do is add the rotors I purchased from arsenic, big thanks, and I should be good to go. I do have one question about removing the front axel since it doesnt have a nut, can I just insert an allen in the left side of the axel and spin it out or do I need to find a 12mm allen and screw it out from the right, or both at the same time? Thanks

jschatz

Comment

Losen your pinch bolt and unscrew the axle. yes you were right about the rim. Those are pre98 rotors on your bike. If you have a pre98 rim then I suggest yuo get a 98+ rim on your bike. The pre98 rim is 3.0 inches wide where the 98+ is 3.5 inches. Your bike was designed with the 3.5 inch rim on it. So I would find a 98-02 front rim.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I will look into it. For now I will probably just continue to run the pre rim until I find a sweet deal on a 98-02, ie I dont want/cant afford to buy one new.

Comment

you won't find a "sweet deal" on a 98-02 front rim this time of year. Those things sell REAL well. Maybe in December.

Comment

Working...
                    X