X

will it work without extreme mods?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it work without extreme mods?

May have asked this before, but, will a 04-05 GSXR 750 fork and tripples work on a pre 98 kat 750 without major mods?
    Keep the rubber side down

I feel like we've been down this road and it didn't end well...not sure though.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I believe the short answer is that you would have to swap the entire front end...forks, triple tree, rim, etc. I'll let an "expert" give you the real answer though.
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

in short - no

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
          May have asked this before, but, will a 04-05 GSXR 750 fork and tripples work on a pre 98 kat 750 without major mods?

You did.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

It's those triples that will be a problem. You need the triples from the 1993-1995 GSX-R 750, which I've concluded from R&D and bought for my own mod. edit to add: It has the same steering head bearings, top and bottom. The steering stops are in the same location. And it uses the same ignition, for me anyways. There were also some years of the GSX-R 1100's as well.

Where the triple would clamp on the forks, do the 2004-2005 forks have 50mm top and 54mm bottom? If so then the triples from those years I stated will clamp into those forks.

However, you'll need everything else from that GSX-R front end. And you'll probably need to use shim(s) (i.e. washers) edit to add: on the brake calipers or on the axle depending on the axle spacing to the triple clamp spacing.

If the forks are 50mm top and 52mm bottom, then you're on your own. There's enough 50/54 forks to not R&D 50/52.
          Last edited by squiggy; 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            You did.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
            swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
            Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

It's those triples that will be a problem. You need the triples from the 1993-1995 GSX-R 750, which I've concluded from R&D and bought for my own mod. edit to add: It has the same steering head bearings, top and bottom. The steering stops are in the same location. And it uses the same ignition, for me anyways. There were also some years of the GSX-R 1100's as well.

Where the triple would clamp on the forks, do the 2004-2005 forks have 50mm top and 54mm bottom? If so then the triples from those years I stated will clamp into those forks.

However, you'll need everything else from that GSX-R front end. And you'll probably need to use shim(s) (i.e. washers) edit to add: on the brake calipers or on the axle depending on the axle spacing to the triple clamp spacing.

If the forks are 50mm top and 52mm bottom, then you're on your own. There's enough 50/54 forks to not R&D 50/52.
            Sorry for necroing this thread. Girlfriend wants me to fighter her Tuna, so I have to do some homework...

I'm fairly sure that the 04-05 GSXR forks are 50/54mm I've found it on a couple other forums. After 05 the are 50/53

The big concern is that the older GSXR11100 clamps may be a bit narrow center to center. You can't relocated the radial mount brakes on the 04+ GSXR laterally without some REAL heavy machine work to the lowers. So the only real option would be to either mill down the wheel, or mate the GSX rod to the newer GSXR triple clamps. You could also back up a bit and use an early 2000-2002 K series GSXR1000 set that still has the axial brake mounts and that would allow a little more wiggle room for caliper placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripped1 View Post
              Sorry for necroing this thread.
              no problems, more info the better.

or mate the GSX rod to the newer GSXR triple clamps.
              Are you talking about pressing out the steering stem and swapping out the one for the other?

Comment

no problems, more info the better.

Are you talking about pressing out the steering stem and swapping out the one for the other?
                Exactly, for some reason the word escaped me when I was typing it the first time.

I plan on doing a similar set-up on my Speed Triple over the winter (if I can't find a 05+ Speed Triple front end) I already have an 06 GSXR1000 fork/clamp/brake set-up. The issue there is that I'll have to change my cluster and get creative with a security system becuase I won't be able to mount my lock cylinder in the GSXR clamp.

For the Tuna I'm of two minds about it. That rear swing arm is about as rigid as a wet peice of paper next to my 675, and any mods made to the suspension are just bling until that is adressed. Of course the GF is a brand new rider, so I may give her a year in stock form before going bonkers and chopping up her bike.

Comment

The GSXR fork swap for the Katana should be basically the same swap as the 1G SV650 GSXR fork swap. The Katanas and the 1G SV use the same head bearings (09267-30010 and 09267-25009).

You will need a top bearing kit from TWF (http://twfracing.com/images/zparts/s...earing_lg.jpeg) and upper bearing dust cover 51643-33E00, but other than that, the rest should be mostly bolt on.

It's doable and not all that difficult. If I remember correctly, since the Kat is setup like the 1G SV, you'll want to get the SRAD triples to retain your steering stops and steering lock.

Note: there may be some small Kat specific nuisances to look out for (like no electronic speedo pickup) so you'll need to find a solution for that and you'll probably also need to get some 2"-3" rise clipons to clear the fairings.

Here's a link that should help you do the swap. You'll want to follow the directions for the 1999 - 2002 SV.

Comment

Very nice.

Thanks for that link. Truthfully I wasn't terribly worried about speedos. Since shes fightering it anyway the stock gauges are all going to get tossed. Plus its a 1994, so there isn't much to fight with on that end to start with.

I'm an electronic guy by trade so going aftermarket isn't really scary. I'm FAR better at patching together electrical stuff then I am at fabrication. I have a certain gauge set in mind already from a company called Koso, just have to mount a peizo sensor on the fork and stick some magnets in the rotor buttons

I'm thinking that GSXR front with a V-rod light and koso gage pod. a la
                    Attached Files

Comment

This will help you with setting up the speedo if you go with that KOSO dash.

May also check out theTrail Tech Vapor gauges. Cheaper and still looks very nice.

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

For the Tuna I'm of two minds about it. That rear swing arm is about as rigid as a wet peice of paper next to my 675, and any mods made to the suspension are just bling until that is adressed.
                          There are a couple of pretty simple things that can be done to improve this. The 5.5 wheel mod I did stiffened up the swinger on mine alot due to the cut/weld changing the geometry of the swinger to a more angular design at the fork spread. Adding a little bracing along the bottom would also help.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The issue there is that I'll have to change my cluster and get creative with a security system becuase I won't be able to mount my lock cylinder in the GSXR clamp.
                            In the case of the Katana's, using the years I posted will retain the steering stops and the use the same ignition and lock.

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                            Note: there may be some small Kat specific nuisances to look out for (like no electronic speedo pickup) so you'll need to find a solution for that
                            The same years and generation of the GSX-R's (1993-1995) still used a cable driven speedo. Unless you want more bling and want to go with radial brakes.

Comment

In the case of the Katana's, using the years I posted will retain the steering stops and the use the same ignition and lock.
                              Yup, was refering to one of my Triumphs, the stop are going to be gone and I'll either have to relocate the key or do away with it. I was actually thinking about trying to get a hold of one of those harley proximity fobs and putting a big red eject button where the key would normally go.

The same years and generation of the GSX-R's (1993-1995) still used a cable driven speedo. Unless you want more bling and want to go with radial brakes.
                              Well, the set I have in the garage is off an 05 1000 so radial is go if I end up using that for the GFs Tuna. She got the thing, parked it next to my Speed Triple, and said "what do I have to do to make it cool like that". So yeah. Shes still a pretty new rider though. So I'm trying to figure out how much to let her go off before it become cost prohibitive to repair new rider breaking stuff.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              There are a couple of pretty simple things that can be done to improve this. The 5.5 wheel mod I did stiffened up the swinger on mine alot due to the cut/weld changing the geometry of the swinger to a more angular design at the fork spread. Adding a little bracing along the bottom would also help.

Krey
                              I found that thread, but the pics won't display here at work. I'll look at it when I get home.
                              Last edited by Tripped1; 10-03-2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X