Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can I get SS Line Banjo Fittings? How To Cut SS Line?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get SS Line Banjo Fittings? How To Cut SS Line?

Got a chance to buy 8 feet of SS line, originally intended for a Miata, plus some other stuff for $30. Worth it for just the line?

Where can I get banjo fittings for the line?

How difficult is it to cut SS line? I tried it years ago, never figured it out. Is there a trick or too needed?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

High speed metal saw will work, as will some shears (bolt cutters). The problem is the other half of the kit -- to create the fittings onto them.

Any NAPA shop will fab hoses, crimping on the appropriate fittings; the question is whether they'll do it with your hose?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

youd be better off to go to a chopper shop and have them make you new lines,they did all four of mine in SS for 45 bucks,

Comment

Metal saw and wrap the line with electrical tape before cutting so it doesn't fray.
        My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
        Other bikes:
        2 1985 CR500
        1 1987 CR500
        1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

Wrap with tape and a fine hacksaw blade!

Any kind of shear (I have tried!) will either crush the Teflon or make a mess of the braid. I have not however tried a cut off wheel or something like that.
          Now are you talking brake lines? Cause I'm really cheap and I would never consider making my own brake lines. If you're talking oil lines you can sometimes find Earles/aircraft style fittings on eBay. They assemble so can be reused. New ones show up but used ones too. Seems like there are a lot of folks parting out stock cars on eBay...
          Like this:
          Last edited by Black_peter; 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I did see that one of the outfits (HEL?) is now offering fitting kits with the tools to assemble the fittings, so guys like HS2020 or I could (in theory) create our own kits. It was there response to the need to be able to fit american custom choppers, where each one may have a different size. The kit wasn't cheap, $300 - $500 range if I recall correctly, but it included a bunch of fittings of every type...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
              Got a chance to buy 8 feet of SS line,
              Are we talking about line or hose. Big difference. Line is stiff, hose is floppy. I can't think of any bikes that use line, only hose.

Now if this is hose, what is the size? Aeroquip makes nice reusable fittings that are easy enough to install without any special tools, that are, unfortunately, not DOT legal (because they are reusable.)

Preferred cutting method, is high speed cutoff wheel. (Think Dremel or the like.)

Here is the Aeroquip catalog with the fittings: http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...E-MC001-E2.pdf
              Last edited by thetable; 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I've just posted this link somewhere else, but its the same deal :

Comment

I have had lines made for a number of cars, try a shop that provides the line service near the local airport.. they will make them.. they will give you the line about not being DOT and all.. I just tell them that its for a non street application...
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                  X