X

Spring replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring replacement

Had my kat for a couple of months now and just clocked my first 1000 miles on it. I have played with the stock suspension alot and have come to the realization that this bike is not exactly made for a 6'4", 250lb. guy. Got the front figured out by reading threads here (new springs), but have a couple of questions. Can I change out the springs without taking the forks off? I have also read the thread on rear shock swaps, but am still confused on this subject. Is there a direct swap (without big modifications and big bucks) that would better suit someone my size? My daughter is on the back about 50% of the time, so it is becoming more of an issue. Bike is a 2000 kat 600. Any insight would be greatly appriciated.
    [SIGPIC]

as for the fork springs, you don't have to remove the forks to do the springs. The caps on top come out easily but are a pita to get back in, sometimes

For rear shock, gixer, 1100 katana or busa rear shock. With busa shock you have to turn your battery box around to clear the reservoir and use a lowering link.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Dont forget you also have the B12 rear shock option as well.

Comment

yeah but not much difference
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

On the rear shock are there specific years, bike sizes, etc. I should be looking for? Do any of them bolt right in or will I need additional parts and modifications?
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

So to add on to this. I put an undertail on my 02 Kat and ever since it has bottoming out on me riding two up. Even if its just my girl (100lbs) and myself (170). I mean on a little bump on any road. I'm assuming my rear spring is shot after 18,000 miles and it could be replaced.

If the gixxer rear spring bolts up, i'll probably do that. I'm going to try to raise the rear and tighten it up a little bit.

1 - Will the gixxer bolt up no problem?
            2 - How often does the rear need to be replaced?
            3 - Anyone else have this problem with the undertail?

Comment

Originally posted by atpgtr View Post
              So to add on to this. I put an undertail on my 02 Kat and ever since it has bottoming out on me riding two up. Even if its just my girl (100lbs) and myself (170). I mean on a little bump on any road. I'm assuming my rear spring is shot after 18,000 miles and it could be replaced.

If the gixxer rear spring bolts up, i'll probably do that. I'm going to try to raise the rear and tighten it up a little bit.

1 - Will the gixxer bolt up no problem?
              2 - How often does the rear need to be replaced?
              3 - Anyone else have this problem with the undertail?
              you can raise the back by changing the stock doggy bones you can raise back 1.5 by with shorter doggy bones you can order them from NE-oublie he is a member of this forum send him a pm and he will help you
              Last edited by JBLUE; 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM.
              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Just throwing one of my many ideas out there...... but has anybody tried a ZX11 shock (like, mid-late 90's)? They look to be the right shape as far as mounting points, the spring is a bit stiffer than our factory spring, and the best part....... racetech sells upgrades for them/they are rebuildable.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Fork Springs: Ohlins (thru me) or RaceTech. Both brands are single-rate springs (OEM is a dual-rate spring), with stiffer turns. Both will set you back $120 - $150 delivered typically. If you haven't rebuilt your forks in the past two years (and have no reason to believe the previous owner did), rebuild the forks at the same time -- new dust & oil seals, new oil.

Rear Shock: Given your weight, I'd go with a new shock from Halgon or Ohlins (the ohlins would be a custom order, about $1150; the Halgon would also be built-to order, but only about $700, which is what the stock non-rebuildable shock costs new).

BP has a write-up on here for how to pre-compress the existing fork springs; if you're tight on a budget, it's a good way to go.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X