No announcement yet.
X

Lowering Yoour Bike all around

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said your buying a new stand so it should be OEM Spec and if you are raising it back up to OEM Height there should be no problems.. did I miss something and misread your post???
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Did not raise the bike to OEM spec

No I had one of those dogbones which has 2 holes. I raised the bike from the back to the one hole up and also raised the front. Now the bike is about 1 1/2 inches lowered. My kickstand is OEM. So I need to again have it cut, but do I need to have the toe welded back on to the probe of the stand after cutting it? The OEM stand has neat looking toe to rest the bike. But after cutting the probe I would not have the toe.....so do I weld it back?
      Last edited by Ashwin; 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin View Post
        No I had one of those dogbones which has 2 holes. I raised the bike from the back to the one hole up and also raised the front. Now the bike is about 1 1/2 inches lowered. My kickstand is OEM. So I need to again have it cut, but do I need to have the toe welded back on to the probe of the stand after cutting it? The OEM stand has neat looking toe to rest the bike. But after cutting the probe I would not have the toe.....so do I weld it back?
        What I did. Is I got a Straight Grinder. I guess about an 1/2' or 1" below the spring attachment point I cut the kickstand in half. Then I cut 1/2" out of the side with the toe. And 1/2" should be enough for you at your height. And then smooth it out and let my welder friend work his magic.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Great info..adding to mod wishlist!
          “What you own is your own kingdom
          What you do is your own glory
          What you love is your own power
          What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

If you drop the bike by even and inch say .. would you still be able to use the center stand? I have no troubles getting mine up on the stand right now, but I figure if I lower by an inch, then it might not be so easy anymore, if it was even possible.
            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
            Black
            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
            Red
            Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

good write up man. I'm definately thinkin of lowering mine.
              http://www.rollinhardriderz.com
              http://www.myspace.com/hostyle742

sigpic

Comment

nice write up Rok stars. This will be very helpful to people that haven't done it before. I just fumbled around till i figured it out the first time I did it. but It was on a pre and it wasn't my bike. So I do have a question for ya. How tall are you? cause I have been thinking about doing mine but I am 6'3" and I thought it might be pointless cause I already have my knees bent big time when I sit on it with my feet on the ground. And what are the realy benifits to lowering it?
                02' Katana 600
                D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
                  If you drop the bike by even and inch say .. would you still be able to use the center stand? I have no troubles getting mine up on the stand right now, but I figure if I lower by an inch, then it might not be so easy anymore, if it was even possible.
                  Even with my bike lower as it is Front 1 1/2 inch and Rear 2 inch. I can still put the centerstand on and use it. I guess the real question is How Big of a Boy are ya. Now its not has easyy has it use to be but a nice pull can definitely pull on back on the centerstand. Theres 2 reason I removed it. 1st I was told that some ppls have been known to scrubb on it in deep curves. 2nd it looks alot better without it.

Originally posted by ras View Post
                  nice write up Rok stars. This will be very helpful to people that haven't done it before. I just fumbled around till i figured it out the first time I did it. but It was on a pre and it wasn't my bike. So I do have a question for ya. How tall are you? cause I have been thinking about doing mine but I am 6'3" and I thought it might be pointless cause I already have my knees bent big time when I sit on it with my feet on the ground. And what are the realy benifits to lowering it?
                  Im 6,0 Feet tall and weigh 185lbs. It is a dream having this bike this low. I love it. Everyone I let seat on my bike cant believe how good it feel. Could they said looks so big (thats what she said...JOKE LOL). Anywayz thrust me you wont regret it. I never had a big problem till I put the B12 header on then I only scrubb with 2 up.
                  Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

rok_stars this is my first post and i may say you have just solved my burning question of the last 2 months since i got my '99. dropped the aft w/ the aluminum links, any clearance issues w/ the can my girl sat on the back and didn't find it til yesterday during brake change nice huge dent from the axle nut, should prove fun to beat out of my Yoshi.

Comment

Just a simple question from the new english guy ........

why the hell would you want to lower a bike that will easilly drag the footrests & exhaust on the road with little effort ?

corners are fun so why ruin them, confused !
                      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                        Just a simple question from the new english guy ........

why the hell would you want to lower a bike that will easilly drag the footrests & exhaust on the road with little effort ?

corners are fun so why ruin them, confused !
                        Because some people are not 6' 6".

If you can't flatfoot the bike while at rest wouldn't you like to be able to do that? Others like the look. We are all different and while you have your opinion on what works or looks good so do the other riders.

I guess you could call it personal preference.

Tmod

Comment

HEY guys im pretty new here but im buying the lowering links and krazy kreations is going to lower it for me and ill be getting their kit as well

and they are charging me to paint the bike white

this is going to happen about a month from now but ill post pics for you guys
                          anyone need help with these guys let me know

they are about a 10 min ride from my house

Comment

I"m only 5'8". right now I have no issues getting the bike up on the centre stand, but I suspect it would be more of a challenge when lowered.

I'm flat foot on the bike now on level ground, but I just love the look of the kats when lowered. They're so long that the lowering is very hott looking to me. Something to consider for the future I guess.
                            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                            Black
                            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                            Red
                            Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
                              I"m only 5'8". right now I have no issues getting the bike up on the centre stand, but I suspect it would be more of a challenge when lowered.

I'm flat foot on the bike now on level ground, but I just love the look of the kats when lowered. They're so long that the lowering is very hott looking to me. Something to consider for the future I guess.
                              I too sat flat footed on my bike OEM height. But now Its lower I got a alittle bend in my knee at red lights. Feel like a crusier how your legs easily touches the ground in comfort

Originally posted by cazualty5 View Post
                              rok_stars this is my first post and i may say you have just solved my burning question of the last 2 months since i got my '99. dropped the aft w/ the aluminum links, any clearance issues w/ the can my girl sat on the back and didn't find it til yesterday during brake change nice huge dent from the axle nut, should prove fun to beat out of my Yoshi.
                              Glad I could help you out.
                              Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              sigpic
                              Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                                Because some people are not 6' 6".

If you can't flatfoot the bike while at rest wouldn't you like to be able to do that? Others like the look. We are all different and while you have your opinion on what works or looks good so do the other riders.

I guess you could call it personal preference.

Tmod
                                fair enough !
                                its still an alien concept to someone who likes corners though
                                i suppose if i wanted to be low to the ground & go slow i'd build another chop
                                Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                                X