X

When to change shock absorber??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to change shock absorber??

When is it time to change the rubber shock absorber in the rear wheel??
    And should it be changed from time to time...??
    Mine feels a little cluncky wken applying power with the throttle. Like hard on hard.
    The chain is adjusted like Haynes recommends.

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
    sigpic

I change mine when I change the rear tire, which might be excessive. When I first got my kat, the shock absorbers were completely shot. They are only about $5, and you'll need 5 of them (I'm pretty sure, maybe 4).

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

you're right 5 of them, I think CP said if they are over 4 years old they should be chaged, CP will give you the right time.

Comment

thanks....

sigpic

Comment

If it is not too hard for you to pull off the rear wheel, you can check them for wear/cracks/breakage. If you have help, you can have someone hold the rear brake, and rock the rear sprocket back and forth to see how much play you have. Too much play, and time for new ones.

Comment

I change the cush pads every time I change chains & sprockets -- because they are cheap, and help take up stresses that can (over time) otherwise cause damages elsewhere from torque lash (esp. on going WOT to closed-throttle). When I order the replacement chain & sprockets, I simply order the Suzuki OEM cush pads at the same time...

Time Issue
            That said, every 4th or 5th year would be what I'd typical consider minimum, unless you went out of your way to coat them with something like red rubber grease to help prevent VOC loss. Just like tires, brake lines and most other rubber parts that have to remain flexible to work right, they have a lifespan based specifically on VOC loss rates (although the loss rate may be much lower down inside the metal casing it sits in ).

Deformation Issue
            You can tell when they are no longer "right" due to deformation as well simply by looking at how they are sitting in the hub -- they should fill the entire space and not have a big gap anywhere. Deformation usually isn't a major problem on stock Kats, but it can be on very torque-rich bikes (any liter bike for example). Occasionally, on very torque-rich bikes, esp. with riders who are heavy on the throttle repeatedly (like those guys who race from stop-light to stop-light over and over and over), you can literally see color-changes in the rubber (dark purple, blues) from heat cycling because of how fast/often they were deformed -- but usually you'll see the same kind of discoloration in the tires first.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by elkat View Post
              If it is not too hard for you to pull off the rear wheel, you can check them for wear/cracks/breakage. If you have help, you can have someone hold the rear brake, and rock the rear sprocket back and forth to see how much play you have. Too much play, and time for new ones.
              ill try that. thanks again guys.

sigpic

Comment

just listen to CP lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X