X

BIG Problem !!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Problem !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my bike back on the road after all winter. I completely redid the motor and body but I made the motor into a 813 but the problem is I keep breaking chain adjusters. I put the bandit style on and I keep bending them into the swing arm when I get on it. Does any one make heavy one's out their or do I have to make my own, and it only does it on the chain side . I will take any type of fix just let me know.
    e black

Eric what about the Busa ones Surely they should hold up. Dale has the Bandit 1200 in his bike and his chain adjusters are doing just fine and his is the bandit ones. I would PM Micdalen (dale) to see how he did his. IF his are not twisting under the bandit 1200 then yours should be not be.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I have stock chain adjusters mine and they do fine and I have a lot of HP! 1340cc

Comment

Originally posted by chriskat1100
        I have stock chain adjusters mine and they do fine and I have a lot of HP! 1340cc
        But it sounds like he swapped over to the bandit adjusters...
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
          I dont how a 600 kat adjusters would be stronger then the bandit 1200 ones ?Unless there just the rong size for the swing arm?

Comment

Originally posted by steves
            I dont how a 600 kat adjusters would be stronger then the bandit 1200 ones ?Unless there just the rong size for the swing arm?

No no... the Bandit 600 adjusters are different than the katana adjusters...
            The B12 adjusters are welded to the swingarm.

Check out this thread, I took some pictures... about half way down.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Uh, how about you tighten you axle bolt more?
              sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
              A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

the Bandit adjusters look just like the RF900
                so where is it braking at on the adjusters?

Comment

I have the bolt tite and set as far as I can get it , And the bandit adjusters are breaking around the lip where it seat in the swing arm.
                  e black

Comment

What do you mean by "set as far as I can get it"?? Do you have the proper amount of slack in the chain? You haven't overtightened the chain have you? That would cause something to have to give. The chain stretching, the backing plates breaking, etc.

Once you torque the axle nut, have you tried loosening the chain tensioner bolts just a tad?

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I have the axle nut as tite as I can it . The chain still has some slop in it . Where the problem is I bulit a 816 engine a I put a 13 front spocket on it and a 50 on the back and now I have major torque. And it's not made for the factory stuff.
                      e black

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Black
                        I have the axle nut as tite as I can it . The chain still has some slop in it . Where the problem is I bulit a 816 engine a I put a 13 front spocket on it and a 50 on the back and now I have major torque. And it's not made for the factory stuff.
                        Well, there's your answer right there. 13/50 gearing on the stock swingarm for a gear ratio of 3.846. Are you even able to keep the front wheel down on a launch with the 13:1 compression ratio of the 816 over-bore kit? Is this a drag bike you're using at the track or in the real world?

You may have to look into either alternative swing arms, swing arm extenders (with chain adjusters integrated; makes sense if you're constantly hoisting the front on acceleration) or fab up a chain adjuster of your own design to compensate. Or reduce the gearing ratio back to something easier for the mechanical systems of the bike to handle (if it's primarily for street riding).
                        As it is, I hope you went to a heavy-duty X-ring chain intended for a Busa or equivilent; even a standard 530 o-ring chain intended for a Kat won't cope -- and you have to figure the chain is generally weaker than the chain adjusters by default.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          and you have to figure the chain is generally weaker than the chain adjusters by default.
                          The Katana chain adjusters are an abomination..
                          There are IMO about 3 major design flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            and you have to figure the chain is generally weaker than the chain adjusters by default.
                            Originally posted by Black_peter
                            The Katana chain adjusters are an abomination..
                            There are IMO about 3 major design flaws.
                            I tend to agree, but that doesn't change the reality that the chain adjuster has to be engineered to be stronger than the chain by default (or they simply wouldn't work at all).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not sure what you are getting at..

The chain adjuster has to be able to exert enough force to create tension but it is not stronger. You're not going to break the chain with the adjuster. If you set up a test rig I'll take bets on the chain winning every time.
                              (applying torque with the chain until something fails.)
                              It is not just the chain adjuster either it is the piss poor interface..

Comment

Working...
                              X