X

REMINDER: EBC REAR BRAKE PADS...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeal/Groans are induced by two factors:
    Low frequency noise (groaning) - pad backings vibrating against the piston cylinders (cylinders not coming out straight normally; rebuilding the caliper, replacing/cleaning the pistons properly & replacing the seals usually takes care of it). If not, there are compounds that can be put on the back of the brake pad backer plates to absorb this low-oscillation vibration.
    High pitched noise (squealing) - normally affiliated with the pads' backing plates dancing back and forth on worn carrier pins. Replace the carrier pins (cheap), or clean the existing ones & make sure they're not notched/worn. You may also want to spray the pins with silicone lube (but only while disassembled - you don't want that lube near your pads or rotors!).

Note that neither of these induce rotor wear. Rotor wear is a result of hard minerals (such as quartz in the form of sand particles) getting trapped between the rotors & pads and eating into the rotor as a result. The modern sintered brake mechanism works by laying down a layer of sintering material onto the rotor and then the pad interacting with that layer -- grooves in the rotor indicate that external debris got into it.

As for warping:
    Warping happens because of use of rotors that are beyond their wear limits (too thin to contain the heat put into them), because external debris is inducing extra heat (clean the rotors regularly!), or because you are using higher-friction brake pads (such as HH pads) excessively for the rotor's design & mass. HH pads should not be used for short-/medium-track uses with lots of cornering/braking, nor canyon carving where you are frequently on the brakes heavily without giving them enough time to cool again (use GG pads for such use, or even FF pads if you are doing lots of short-track work).

As for the contact - contact EBC RaceTech. You'll find his contact info on their website.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well what happened with you that they gave you a new rotor too? Can you explain your troubles with them and shed light on my problem. If i can get a new rotor/pads from them i would be overjoyed because at this point my rear brake is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
        well what happened with you that they gave you a new rotor too? Can you explain your troubles with them and shed light on my problem. If i can get a new rotor/pads from them i would be overjoyed because at this point my rear brake is useless.
        I contacted race-tech and told him that the pads specifically weren't seating correctly with the shims in place, shot him some pics, and told him that there was a liability issue involved that they needed to address. He bumped it over to production to put a warning sticker on the packages until the packaging got redesigned/reprinted and sent me fresh pads & a brake rotor. That's the last I heard about it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          I contacted race-tech and told him that the pads specifically weren't seating correctly with the shims in place, shot him some pics, and told him that there was a liability issue involved that they needed to address. He bumped it over to production to put a warning sticker on the packages until the packaging got redesigned/reprinted and sent me fresh pads & a brake rotor. That's the last I heard about it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          WOW a new rotor! i missed that part. good part on them, but sad they are just going to put a warning, should fix the problem. But then again, I guess a shim isn't necessary.

I contacted goodridge when i got them for my kat, told them they were all jacked up, wrong, to long, badly bent. Told them I would ship them my oem lines, didn't want anything in return. NEver heard back.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
          X