No announcement yet.
X

Best rear shock swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good call on minimal load difference from the gsxr to kat. sometimes we just take in what people write without thinking about it. Oops.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Originally posted by bcsean
      Good call on minimal load difference from the gsxr to kat. sometimes we just take in what people write without thinking about it. Oops.
      Yeah we get hung up on the absolutes..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter

Sorry hope you didn't think I was being a jerk.
        But I guess I thought that first gen 750 was
        fully discribed. I guess if it adds no height I should add that. The late model GSXR with built in reseviour
        will not fit because the lower part of the spring
        binds on the dogbones and the swing arm..
        Causeing the swing arm to not swing!
        But just from pics I've seen the Hayabusa shock is longer in that area (more space between the link and the coil spring) Plus grr hold on let me find the guy who added it. moonlit!! Jeez that was driving me crazy..
        Here is his post good pics I think too..

Personally I would go with the busa shock.
        I don't know what rebuilding a older GSXR shock costs but I have heard that new springs (stiffer) are
        about $20. I would go that route second.
        After that see about the Olins.
        I would go with the Olins if the price is only $40-$50
        different from the shock + rebuild..
        It's a hell of a good shock..
        Oh and FYI.. The wieght difference in the bikes is
        minimal.. Remember that riders could be from 135lbs to 250lbs (+/- 115lbs) the difference from a Kat to a GSXR is what? 15 -20? I have a GSXR 600 shock and only have 30% preload on it..
        Don't worry I didn't think you were a jerk. I know a lot of people don't search and what not anywhoo Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna try and find a nice used Busa shock on ebay or something. I'll post my results once I get it done. Thanks again Black Peter
        92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

I don't know what rebuilding a older GSXR shock costs
          About $120 for a basic rebuild if you son't need any parts replaced . I have one , and it needs parts replaced , so it'd be about $200-250 to rebuild .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            About $120 for a basic rebuild if you son't need any parts replaced . I have one , and it needs parts replaced , so it'd be about $200-250 to rebuild .

Bummer.. About $100 more and you get the Olins..

Comment

Originally posted by md86

Bummer.. About $100 more and you get the Olins..
              And Ohlins cost a flat $100 to rebuild

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , the Race Tech guy I talked to said that the $120 was pretty much a flat rate at ANY shop for their rebuild .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ok before yall tell me to go read some more the links dont work... but im looking for a stiffer rear ... from what i have read here busa requires mods and b12 is a bolt on... right ... so which is the "buns o steel" for pre kats..
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

B12

Comment

there's a specific year to fit pre98 600 thats a bolt on right? wow... and are they all 400 bucks?
                      Last edited by il_ragazzo; 02-24-2008, 02:52 AM.
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                        there's a specific year to fit pre98 600 thats a bolt on right? wow... and are they all 400 bucks?
                        Suspension interchange thread and eBay is your best way to save money. Busa shocks can be had $30-$40 shipped all day, there are very few B12 shocks though.
                        Last edited by Metallihawk; 02-24-2008, 03:02 AM.
                        91 Galant VR4 #627/2k
                        94 Katana 750 "Streetfighter"

Comment

Originally posted by Metallihawk View Post
                          Suspension interchange thread and eBay is your best way to save money. Busa shocks can be had $30-$40 shipped all day, there are very few B12 shocks though.

Thanx i was looking for this thread all day and couldn't find it... i stumbled across this like a week ago and i was like this i should keep and for some reason i forgot to subscribe to it....ah thats right its a sticky!
                          i cant subscibe to stickies
                          Last edited by il_ragazzo; 02-24-2008, 03:10 AM.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

Since we are on the toppic of rear suspension. What about swing arms?
                            pre - post kats can swap no problem right? what about gixxer?

Comment

not even a little bit. pre-post Katana's is A LOT of work. The post is 1/4" wider at the pivot tube. it use a bigger diameter pivot bolt and bigger diameter bearing inserts. What you need to do is use a blind bearing puller, pull the post bearing out of the swing arm. Grind the post pivot tube to 9 1/4", use the pre bearings, inserts, trust washers and pivot bolt.

Comment

I did the 1200 Bandit shock swap

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

After I get the 750 swap done, and deal with paint..I will probably try swapping in the 2001 Kat 750 shock (bike had less than 5K miles on it) just to see which I like the best.

With 9" PVC spacers and a fork oil change in the front, and the 1200 Bandit shock on my 91 600....it handles GREAT...BUT..it is a bit stiff on rough roads. Something like this is always a compromise....so I plan on swapping in some new progressive springs, seeing the difference, then trying the Kat 750 shock and go from there.

If it matters.....I'm 6'3" and 230lbs.....

The BIG difference is how much better it rides and handles two up...the thing stock was very soft with my 100lb son on the back. My wife rode with me some after the upgrades and it handled GREAT. So I think ALOT has to do with the total weight on the bike.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                                X