X

Front brakes and front forks could use some pointers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brakes and front forks could use some pointers

I'm planning on doing some work on my 04 600 this weekend and would like to make sure I have all the parts in hand before I have it apart and miss a few riding days waiting (not that I've ever done that or anything )

I have the front pads, bought them last year, didn't need to be done but now seems about time to do them.
    The book states to replace the caliper seals, how hard is this? any special tools required?
    I assume when you do the seal replacment the brake fluid will be drained, so whats needed to fill it back up with ease? is a vacuum pump required or just nice to have?
    Where can I get speed bleeders? are they pretty common to pick up at an automotive place?
    Are SS lines worth the upgrade?

Now on to the forks, how hard is it to repalce the oil and seals and special tools required? I have the mechanical abilty to do the semi-major things like valve adjustment and carb syncing but I'd hate to have my fork apart and discover I'm missing some crazy tool needed to put it back. Any guideance and poniters would be great.

Thanks

Good god man!!
    All that info is available by doing a search...
    You're asking us to type a good 4 paragraphs to answer all that...

Comment

sorry for the lack of searching, I had searched for the caliper seals and didnt' really find anything.

Dug a little deaper on the fork front and found what I was looking for.

Comment

Re: Front brakes and front forks could use some pointers

Originally posted by dark169
        I have the front pads, bought them last year, didn't need to be done but now seems about time to do them.
        The book states to replace the caliper seals, how hard is this? any special tools required?
        See:
        http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17146 for discussion
        and

for step-by-step instructions I posted.

I assume when you do the seal replacment the brake fluid will be drained, so whats needed to fill it back up with ease? is a vacuum pump required or just nice to have?
        Nice to have, not necessary if you have patience & a helper, or speedbleeders.

Where can I get speed bleeders? are they pretty common to pick up at an automotive place?
        I sell 'em cheap. These prices are delivered (including S&H):
        98+ Kat 600 & 750 SpeedBleeders - standard, $27 (USA), $28 (Canada), $29 (rest of world)
        98+ Kat 600 & 750 SpeedBleeders - Stainless steel, $40 (USA), $41 (Canada), $42 (rest of world)

Are SS lines worth the upgrade?
        IMHO: Yes. Teflon lined SS-sheathed hoses are the best upgrade you can make for brake feel on a Kat aside from regularly brake fluid flushes.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X