X

Caliper rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter
    OK I am the proud owner of a Gixxer 600 lever set.
    I will submit a full report upon completion,
    Gixxer MC, Goodridge lines rebuild calipers.
    That ought to give me good brakes..
    Yeah let us know how the MC works out. I've heard that most of the gsxr line-up uses the same 5/8 nissin MC as the SVs. I always wondered if that was true.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
      OK I am the proud owner of a Gixxer 600 lever set.
      I will submit a full report upon completion,
      Gixxer MC, Goodridge lines rebuild calipers.
      That ought to give me good brakes..
      Yeah let us know how the MC works out. I've heard that most of the gsxr line-up uses the same 5/8 nissin MC as the SVs. I always wondered if that was true.
      jips that's true for the older models, the new model comes with radial MC's
      the 5/8 MC is even used for the sixpot calipers (know that cuz I have those installed)
      Btw rebuilding the calipers and the MC, application off Wavediscs, HH-pads and SS-lines (did all of that) won't give you the ultimate stopping power it is and stays ok nothing more nothing less..
      However a bigger MC and better calipers will improve it in a stunning way.
      Another issue which will come up after this update is the weak frontend a rebuild or update of the frontend will be necessary.

Comment

Kwebble That is down the line but something I would be interested in. Front ends are on e-bay all the time. I would rather update then go the "Preformance rebuild" (springs, emulators)route it seems a better way $$ wise. At this point the MC was almost a lark. I found it so cheap. Since I got such a deal on the bike ($1800) I have a bit of a budget surplus. ( I planned to spend 3000) I'm not planning to build a super bike, just improve what I see are some of the weak spots. At this point (once I get the carbs right) it make plenty of power.

Comment

The MC is a good way to start B_p, I'm just telling, sorry advising you not to spend your money on a rehaul of your calipers, even in a mint shape with ss-lines, EBC-HH pads aso they won't provide you with the stopping-power of ss-bikes.

Comment

Too late!! seals have shipped..
            The caliper rebuild is a "while I'm at it" kind of thing. I'm not expecting the rebuild to yeild any improvement but I think it would be foolish not to
            do it while I'm installing new lines.

Comment

Too late!! seals have shipped..
              The caliper rebuild is a "while I'm at it" kind of thing. I'm not expecting the rebuild to yeild any improvement but I think it would be foolish not to
              do it while I'm installing new lines.
              +1
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

My Gixxer MC arrived today.. Two words Woo hoo!
                It was a package deal with the clutch assy too.
                The clutch perch will work. But there is some interference with the Kat bar mount. Sadly my clip-ons are not due to arrive for another week but this lever assy seems to offer a better feel then the stock one.
                Now as soon as my caliper seals arrive I'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                X