X

My official post 750 swap into a pre 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My official post 750 swap into a pre 600

Well since the bodywork now needs attention..see THIS thread , I've decided to get it done.

Since it looks like I've found a replacement fairing, I'll be tearing the bike down to take the pieces to get them painted. I'm waiting on a co-worker to get back to me on a quote (her husband does paint and body out of his own shop and comes HIGHLY recommended)

I'll be tearing down the 01 Kat parts bike starting tonight. So I should be ready to start the swap in a few days.

I've scored a 93 Kat 750 CDI and oil cooler to use in the swap.

I'll be using the carbs from the 01 Kat 750 , just using a one cable throttle setup like my 91 Kat.

I'm going to be ordering an Ivan's jet kit in the next few days as well.

I just scored a brand new Carbtune Pro shipped to me for $100....($30 savings is $30 towards other things)

So.......

I figure removing both wheels from my Kat and hanging it from my pipe stand will make the swap easier....basically lowering the bike onto the engine.

Have a few pre-lim questions.......

Per the engine swap threads I have researched, I can (and it seems to be recommended) to use the alternator and starter that mate to my harness.....or is this an issue at all? Are the newer 01 Kat 750 pieces direct swaps onto my harness or does it matter?

I'm using the 01 750 header w/ my post 98 Scorpion that's already mounted on my 91.

What about using the coils / plug wires from the 01 since they are newer and only have 4K miles on 'em? Will they plug in to my harness?

I'll also be adapting the 01 Kat 750 switch gear (choke / headlight etc and kill switch / throttle tube etc) into my 91's harness....I'm hoping to just use the wiring diagrams from both and simply repin the stock connector.

I'll be cleaning every harness connection on my Kat and giving everything some dielectric grease while I'm at it.

Anything else I'm missing?

Any help / input is greatly appreciated.

With any luck, the bike should be painted, motor swapped in and ready to roll in 2-3 weeks.

Here we go....

the coils are the same.

Comment

the newer pieces are no direct swap to the 91 harnes
      All you can use the coils (no problem)
      You can use the carbs but the tps will have no function (doesn't matter)

ever thought about pc-ing/painting the frame?
      Why don't you try to get a post-harnes? everything would be a direct swap.....

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
        All you can use the coils (no problem)

Why don't you try to get a post-harnes? everything would be a direct swap.....
        not true, you can use the starting motor also. A post harness using post gauges is easy. Wiring pre gauges to a post harness, I've made that easy for you, follow the cross over.

Comment

alternator too

Comment

no you can't, you can take the gear off a pre alternator and put it on a post alternator, but you have to use the alternator with the harness. Actually I'm not 100% sure on that Special K said you might run into problems with the alternator, but he couldn't remember. I just played it safe and went with a post alternator.

Comment

so what are you saying now

Comment

I'm saying I don't know if you can swap the alternator or not

Comment

Well luckily I'll be able to check 'em out as I'll have both alternators / starters side by side when I do the swap.

If they will work it makes sense to use the newer parts whenever I can.

I really don't want to replace the harness.........guess we'll see once I go through my harness and clean / check / grease each connection

Comment

the starter works for sure, I've done that a few times

Comment

Watch the engine mount bolts . If there's much weight on them when you take them out , they'll be EASILY screwed . Support the engine before taking out the bolts , or just have new ones on hand . They're cheap .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Your Bar ends are compatible with the pre wiring harness also

Just messin wif ya
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                          Your Bar ends are compatible with the pre wiring harness also

Just messin wif ya

Comment

I just thought about it...

What about the fuel line / petcock setup.

Pre's have two feed lines to carburetors (if my memory isn't failing me) and the 01 only has one.

Can I swap the petcock? Or can I just plug the other outlet from the petcock since it only pulls fuel when motor is running producing vacuum?

Comment

yeah, just switch the petcock, I did that same thing. You really need to read my how-to on 98+ carbs on a pre.

Comment

Working...
                              X