Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat went down.......one of those days...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kat went down.......one of those days...

And I wasn't even on it

So does anyone remember this thread I posted ?

So the breaker died again leaving work yesterday evening about 5:15pm. Leaving an intersection at a decent clip (so I could get over to turn) hit 2nd gear, CLICK.......bike goes dead.

Luckily had enough momentum to get it over the small curb and into the parking lot of the main road. So I immediately pop the seat off, and sure enough the little button on the main breaker is popped out. I push it in, turn key, and it immediately pops. So after much frustration, I call my buddy. Turns out he's working LATE (he's normally home by 4pm) but he volunteered to go by the house get the trailer and come get me.

So he gets there. We load the bike up and we're strapping it down. He was re-tightening one of the straps, it let loose, and the others being tight, it just sent the bike over in a FLASH (opposite kick stand side, as I had kick stand down, front wheel in a chock).

And of course it hits the metal trailer side.

-RH Main fairing is missing a good-sized chunk where the windscreen attaches to.
    -RH Mirror busted
    - My Zero Gravity Screen...busted.

So I'm on the hunt for a RH main fairing for a pre-98.

If you have one for sale / trade let me know.

that sucks man.
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that... you really need to dig into the electrics and find out where the insulation is missing at the wiring (my best educated guess: where the main bundle of wires passes forward of the engine on the right hand side on the way to the ignition/dash).

I saw some of the fairings on eBay yesterday, if that helps.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        I'm sorry to hear that... you really need to dig into the electrics and find out where the insulation is missing at the wiring (my best educated guess: where the main bundle of wires passes forward of the engine on the right hand side on the way to the ignition/dash).

I saw some of the fairings on eBay yesterday, if that helps.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        You don't think the breaker itself could just be 'worn'?

Reason I ask, after the bike sits for a bit, it will crank right back up like nothing happened.

I'm going to go ahead and order a new breaker while i'm at, so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          You don't think the breaker itself could just be 'worn'?
          Nope.

Breakers don't normally fail with the symptoms you are having. The symptoms point to wiring that has insulation missing which sooner-or-later vibrates to a location where it can ground out. Or water in a switch or multi-pin terminal doing the same thing. At some point, it's grounding out positive power and at that instant, drawing more than the 30 amps the breaker takes to pop.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Nope.

Breakers don't normally fail with the symptoms you are having. The symptoms point to wiring that has insulation missing which sooner-or-later vibrates to a location where it can ground out. Or water in a switch or multi-pin terminal doing the same thing. At some point, it's grounding out positive power and at that instant, drawing more than the 30 amps the breaker takes to pop.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            The weird part is that nothing has moved around (meaning I haven't had anything apart that would have disturbed wiring anyway) except for taking the front sprocket cover off and cleaning it out. I did spray some cleaner on on the engine under the sprocket cover, that was several days ago.

Guess I'll be tearing it down and looking at wiring...lovely.

Comment

let this be a lesson to those who are not already aware of this.

ALWAYS draw up the kickstand side (left) of the bike, before the drawing up the right side. No explanation needed, as you have already described what can happen.

sorry to hear about your mishap.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Breakers do wear down... every time one is tripped, it will trip the next time at a slightly lower amperage than the last. While it is possible for a breaker to fail... this does sound more like a short just as CyberPoet described.

Sorry about the bodywork dude... I'm in the same boat right now trying to fix the PO's damage on mine.
                My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                  let this be a lesson to those who are not already aware of this.

ALWAYS draw up the kickstand side (left) of the bike, before the drawing up the right side. No explanation needed, as you have already described what can happen.

sorry to hear about your mishap.
                  yeah see... I (ME, MYSELF and I) am WELL aware of that piece of advice. Trouble is my friend (good enough to leave work early, drive to my house to get the trailer, then drive 20 more miles to come get me) is not a motorcycle guy.

He feels horrible....so I'm not going to make a big deal to him about the bodywork.

Comment

Things just took an interesting turn....

I've got a guy coming to look at the 01 Kat 750 I'm parting out....and he mentions that someone he knows is needing some parts as well, so he'll bring him with him tomorrow. I mention dropping the bike on the trailer, and he tells me this guy probably has a fairing.

He calls me back and sure enough he has one...several in fact. So hopefully it's in decent shape.

We shall see.

I've got to start tearing the parts bike down and find time to tear mine down as well and look for a short in the wiring...

Comment

Well I snapped some pics of the damage to the Kat while I was tearing down the 01 750.............

The TRANSPLANT DONOR engine 01 750 4.2K miles....yee haw...

Comment

Man that suck. When I high-sided and I was on the ground just watching my bike slide against road and the listening to the engine running just thinking of my internals. Wow Im going to have nightmares. In my case I came back with a bang. I got alot of stuff done with the fairings off. And got a fresh paint job. So things in the long run ain't so bad.
                        sigpic
                        Update Jul 11 2014
                        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X