X

Bike Died....Breaker Question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Died....Breaker Question.

Took the wife out with me just for a run around the block. Bike ran fine. 15 minutes later, fired up to go look at the 01 750 parts bike, ran fine. Pulling out of my street, hit 2 gear...bike cuts off. Thought I hit the kill switch...nope. No indicator lights, headlights, STONE dead. Walk it to the house (luckily a block or two away).

Get out the meter....check the battery..almost 13V, good to go. Check the wiring diagram, trace to the main breaker on the front of the battery box (CRAPPY place to get to). As soon as I pop it out of the little mount on the battery box, the headlights come on, indicators light up....Just bumping it made it work.

Cleaned the connections, shot some dielectric grease on it, put it back together, works fine, bike starts right up.

So? Replace? Get a spare? What?

Also, there is a factory wire coming off the feed that goes AFTER the it goes through the breaker...12 volts...where does it plug to?

Thanks

you might have solved your issue atleast with the breaker. Could have a short elsewhere. Also any open leads tape them up or heat shrink them well.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Well the wire that branches off the breaker appears to be factory (female sleeved bullet connector just like factory turn signal light connections etc).

It's back together and fine now, so we'll see.

Is Suzuki the only place to order the breaker?

I may order a spare.

Comment

yes suzuki would be the only company that has a direct replacement. but you can obviously buy from any retailer that sells suzuki parts. However I assume you could retrofit some car circuit breaker into it. Finding the specs on the breaker might be harder than wanting to mess with it, so going oem might be best.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if all the breakers where the same...30A says the factory manual.
          93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

There are tons of aftermarket 12.2-14.9 volt range 30 amp breakers out there, but I'm not familiar with the pre-98 form-factor enough to know what replacements will fit (Q - is it bolted down to something, or does it just "hang" there?).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the circuit breaker slides over a tab on the battery box, just like the fuses do if i remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                the circuit breaker slides over a tab on the battery box, just like the fuses do if i remember right.
                Yup, just hangs on a metal tab on the battery box

Comment

Well this would be the cause........

Of the breaker kicking off......

So before I button up the 750 swap, I'll be going through the entire harness to check it's condition..

Comment

good thing you found it. I finally one warm winter day, cut all the old crap off the stock wires and retaped and shrink wrapped about 98% of the whole harness. I found it to be a pain, but I did like knowing everything checked out and i had better chances in the rain. just use a quality tape! good luck!

Comment

Last summer when I thought I had a wiring harness problem on the kat... we unwrapped and checked the entire harness.

It ended up being a loose connection to the battery....

But we used some 3M stretch tape stuff to re wrap all the wires. We also wrapped the cali connectors back into the harness to get them out of the way....

Luckily my friend walter is an electrical guru.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                      X