X

Exhaust for 600 and 750 the same??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for 600 and 750 the same??

Just wondering , if i bought an aftermarket full exhaust system for my 99 Katana 600 will this exhaust also fit 98-2006 katana 750??

The reason im asking is i want to eventually go to a 750 katana (2000 - 2006 model), and want to put the full system on the 750 and put the stock system back on the 600 when it comes time to sell.

I think it will fit because isnt it the same block and same headers??

Thanks a million. ANy help would be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to add, has anyone heard a D&D full system up close and personal? If so what did you think??
    Last edited by Kat99; 07-11-2009, 02:47 AM. Reason: extra info.

I'm no expert on the post 98 Kats, but as far as I know the exhausts are the same. In all the full system research I have done I always see them listed as 600/750 full systems.

I've never heard a Kat with a D&D full system in person before, but I do know that every D&D slipon I've ever heard was LOUD!! If you are wanting loud, then D&D is your ticket.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Here goes:

98+ :
      Headers are the same size at the header openings of the engine (including bolt pattern spacing), and the same size at the collector-to-midpipe junction. The only difference between the OEM headers is the size of the initial down-tube, with the 750 having a very small size increase, which represents the difference in pulse-wave exhaust tuning differences between a 150 cc cylinder on the 600 and the 187.5 cc cylinder on the 750. If you put the OEM 750 header on the 600, you'll hear a bit more intake noise than you get with the stock 600 header (sounds kind of cool to me), but no noticeable increase in exhaust noise. The diameter change also makes the 600 produce slightly less low-end torque and slightly more high-end torque (we're talking very small differences - under 1 ft-lbs). No clue on what the noise-result is if you reverse that (600 header on the 750), but the torque result should be reversed.

The exhaust cans change between certain years, because of a shift in the location of the rear footpeg hanger's support bracket and the change over in the muffler shape from oval-ended to rolled-end (bigger) cans in the later years. I believe the break is 98-02 and 03-06, but I can't recall exactly off the top of my head. The rolled-end can showed up around '04 or '05, which would mean there are three OEM muffler systems (2 that look identical except for the hanger support location being off by 1/2 inch, plus the bigger "late" style).

D&D - IMHO, the worst sounding, poorest engineered (in terms of pulse-tuning -- there isn't any) solution on the market. Their headers will be the same for both engines (and significantly larger down-tubes than OEM, but same size at the collectors & header ports). If you want a really sweet sounding exhaust, I'd highly suggest you track down a Hindle system instead, which is the best sounding aftermarket exhaust I've heard on the 98+ Kats (and I've heard a whole lot of them).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah i have the hindle on mine and it rocks

Comment

Does Hindle sound like Yoshi RS3? Never heard Hindle.
          KATitoy

Comment

the header from all oil/air cooled suzuki engines will fit from 600 up. this includes the 1100's.

as for the mufflers...they are not all the same. aside from what CP pointed out, they also vary in restriction or back pressure. running a muffler from an 1100 on a 600 will require different jetting than a muffler designed for a 600.

or so I was told.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
              Does Hindle sound like Yoshi RS3? Never heard Hindle.
              Take a Yoshi RS3 that's brand new and make it sound a bit deeper and mellower by virtue of being tuned to emit a sound that's a bit deeper in frequency but just as quiet at idle. Have it start to get louder (but only in the lower registers) around 4500 - 5k RPM, and sound like motorcycle engine music wafting through the forest around 8k RPMs with no tinny upper notes in the sound... I don't know how better to describe it.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Need your help, exhaust for 91 kat

I've read this thread and it mostly talks about post 1998 Kate, mine is a 91, it has a full Vance and Hines header and yoshi rs2 slip on. The collector has a small leak in it and I've been looking at other systems but the pickings are VERY SLIM. If anyone might know of a system that would work. I've done a few modes, head, cams, 41mm carbs with stage 3 jet kit, and a few other things to help the handling and power, but the rest is stock, most of it. I love the comfort the kat offers, I'm. 6'5 240lbs and its very comfortable ride, so I got the 91, took motor out and did a bit of machining and swapped some parts, put I back together and dunk tuned it. Its no busa, but 158 HP at the rear is good enough for me. I am wondering if 600 or and 1100cc header would fit and not have to re-jet the cabs? The exhaust ports on the head have been ported a bit, I know the good aftermarket systems are tuned for each cyclindar size, or volum, my bike included increasing the motor to 798cc. The machinist that helped me with the build, took the header and deburred and ported them for a better match. Had anyone ever had a patch put on your collector or can I cut it off and have another welded on? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, ride safe

Comment

Originally posted by bta2997 View Post
                  I've read this thread and it mostly talks about post 1998 Kate, mine is a 91, it has a full Vance and Hines header and yoshi rs2 slip on. The collector has a small leak in it and I've been looking at other systems but the pickings are VERY SLIM. If anyone might know of a system that would work. I've done a few modes, head, cams, 41mm carbs with stage 3 jet kit, and a few other things to help the handling and power, but the rest is stock, most of it. I love the comfort the kat offers, I'm. 6'5 240lbs and its very comfortable ride, so I got the 91, took motor out and did a bit of machining and swapped some parts, put I back together and dunk tuned it. Its no busa, but 158 HP at the rear is good enough for me. I am wondering if 600 or and 1100cc header would fit and not have to re-jet the cabs? The exhaust ports on the head have been ported a bit, I know the good aftermarket systems are tuned for each cyclindar size, or volum, my bike included increasing the motor to 798cc. The machinist that helped me with the build, took the header and deburred and ported them for a better match. Had anyone ever had a patch put on your collector or can I cut it off and have another welded on? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, ride safe
                  Got a Dyno sheet to back that up? Pre 750 with mild work putting out 158 HP? Lollerskates. Stock they are 105 at the crank....how did you get another 50 HP out of it without a turbo??? Many engine builders here would love to know.....

I hope you mean your bike was bored to 798CC and not that the exhaust increased the cylinder volume.....that second sentence is rather confusing.
                  Last edited by 05RedKat600; 07-01-2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bta2997 View Post
                    Oh dear, no...just...no...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Hey, look at that. A 1991 Katana 750 is only lacking 27 HP to a 2012 BMW S1000RR. I did not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          Hey, look at that. A 1991 Katana 750 is only lacking 27 HP to a 2012 BMW S1000RR. I did not know that.

Can afford all the (impossible) work to make a katana 750 put out the same power as a CBR1000RR but have to patch a collector?

Oh dear...just...oh dear...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                          X