No announcement yet.
X

Tires and Swingarms discussion moved outta pics thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should try to find the center of the bike, then plumb bob the tire. That way you'll know if you should off set the wheel.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

I would have to do that first before any mods, and compare that to the Suzuki blueprints.
      Too late for the 1st, and will never have access to Suzuki blueprints.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
        Well, you know as a professional carpenter I always put a bubble level on anything I fasten to a permanent structure such as a house.
        Funny, the first thing I learned was, ain't nothing in a house is level or square!
        To do this mod perfectly square, first I'd have to build a heavy steel work table that was perfectly square, and to use a bubble level to secure it level with the Earth.
        WTF just wing it the best you can.
        Don't get too technical bill. Just the other day you were saying to wing it.
        Use this method...
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I was thinking, how do I know if the design engineers offset the wheel and swingarm, or if I did? I might fuck up their intended offset thinking it was my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
            I was thinking, how do I know if the design engineers offset the wheel and swingarm, or if I did? I might fuck up their intended offset thinking it was my mistake.

Measure center of wheel to sprocket edge on old wheel.

Measure center to sprocket edge on new wheel.

Is there a difference?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry, I meant the tire in relation to the frame, to know if my swingarm is centered after modification.
              One thing I did notice, the sprocket bolts barely clear the swingarm, seems the spacer needs to be wider. That's not because of the mod, it must be because of the difference between the GSXR and GSXF swingarms.
              Last edited by buffalobill; 02-22-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Both my 600 & 1100 have about 3mm clearance. My pre-600 has stock hub and spacer. The 1100 has Bandit 1200 hub and Kat-11 spacer. If Suzuki said its good enough for the pre-600 its good enough for the 11.
                As long as the wheel is centered with the frame (EDIT: In line with the front wheel ), I'd say it doesn't matter how its centered in the swinger. Also, you can flip the sprocket bolts inside out to gain clearance at the swingarm. I've not done it, but I have seen it on the web with a GS500 mod. You may have to grind out the inner side of the hub ever so slightly in order to tighten it down :duuno: Thats so you can get a socket around the nut better. Or go buy some expensive, thin titanium nuts or allen screws or something. 2nd EDIT: I believe you can flip the nuts upside down also, in order to keep from grinding the hub. Then just buy some thin head bolts. Of course, use lock tight.
                Last edited by katanarider; 02-23-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

OK, got good enough clearance now!
                  You can see two washers on the axle, these moved the wheel to the right enough for the chain to clear the tire edge.
                  I may only need one washer for the 180/55 tire I'll be using.

Comment

Should be at least a 14mm thick spacer at that point. What size you got in there?

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll be working on it this weekend, got a new tire, sprockets and chain.

Comment

Completed

OK, here's some pics, the project is completed, successful!
                        Thanks Kreylyn!
                        Clearance with Michelin Power Pilot 180/55, it's actually only 178mm wide.
                        I did not have to bend or reshape the brake arm or bracket, just moved it to the right and spaced with 3 washers and new bolt.
                        The new chain only has 116 links, 118 is standard, but the mod shortened the swingarm, so 118 was too long.

Last edited by buffalobill; 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Looks nice!

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                          X