X

Thoughts on new Katana purchase

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on new Katana purchase

So I'm looking at getting a bike for my brother along with his wife. He's getting back from Iraq in a few months and deserves a good return present. So we have $3000 to spend and I found a great condition 2006 600 Katana with 9k miles. My question is my best friend thinks I'm biased towards the Katana's since I have one and another bike would be a better purchase. For the same price I've found 2000-2002 GSXR 750s with around 24k mileage. This will be my brother's first street bike. He's ridden before but never owned.
    Is the Katana so new and with low mileage a good deal or should we look at an older and higher mileage (better) bike? Opinions?

I would look at how they have been taken care of and what exactly they will need. But that is my opinion. I bought a 95 with low miles that has never been laid down because it didnt need any work except on the carbs. I was looking at newer bikes that costs more that had been abused and had higher miles and passed on them. I guess its all a matter of preference.

Comment

I would go with the Kat for the following.
      You know the bike and can help orient him with maintenance and repair.
      It is a better entry bike that due to the year and mileage if he later decides he wants something different will have no trouble selling for a good price.

Comment

I completely agree. My main question is if you guys had to it over would a Kat still be your choice?

Comment

After owning my Kat since '96, I wouldn't say I would go out and buy another one, but even though I have since purchased 2 more bikes, my Kat is still in the garage, and not going anywhere.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
            I would go with the Kat for the following.
            You know the bike and can help orient him with maintenance and repair.
            It is a better entry bike that due to the year and mileage if he later decides he wants something different will have no trouble selling for a good price.
            "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
            1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
            2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I vote the Kat a well, they are great bikes and hopefully the one you found is well taken care of.

Comment

I would vote Kat because its his first bike. They are simple, cheap to repair, and a bit down on power (with a bit of extra weight). It makes them a good first bike. A Hell of a lot better than a beat up 600 or a Ninja
                1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
                2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
                1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

I think the Katana would be a great bike to get. I think a GSXR or any SS bike is a bad choice for a learner bike. Tell him good luck and thanks.

Comment

Tell him "Welcome Home" from a fellow veteran.

And yes, get the Katana. For all the aforementioned reasons. If I had to do it over again, I would *still* get my Kat. It's a great bike to learn on, fairly easy to work on, and a blank canvas for personalizing. And it's dam near bullet proof...like a HMMWV.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Touchy View Post
                      So I'm looking at getting a bike for my brother along with his wife. He's getting back from Iraq in a few months and deserves a good return present. So we have $3000 to spend and I found a great condition 2006 600 Katana with 9k miles. My question is my best friend thinks I'm biased towards the Katana's since I have one and another bike would be a better purchase. For the same price I've found 2000-2002 GSXR 750s with around 24k mileage. This will be my brother's first street bike. He's ridden before but never owned.
                      Is the Katana so new and with low mileage a good deal or should we look at an older and higher mileage (better) bike? Opinions?

Like has been said ther are number of things to consider:

1st bike - THIS IS THE BIGGEST ONE

A Kat 600 is a good starter bike and makes a great gift.

But wait, theres more...............

You intrduce a vet to riding his own bike
                      You already know Kats
                      You gain a riding partner
                      Many other +'s

Dude, I commend you for laying out that kind of cash for one of our service men returning from the field.

If you want to get it for him than do it. I dont have a doubt in my mind he wouldnt appriciate it.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

First thanks for his service to this country. I would say I vote for the katana, less mileage and sound like better condition. You know what he likes , it will be nice to both brothers riding kats. It's just my opinion.
                        LET'S GO AND RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Touchy View Post
                          My question is my best friend thinks I'm biased towards the Katana's since I have one and another bike would be a better purchase. Opinions?

Tell your best friend to buy your brother any bike he wants too, your the one shelling out the cash. .. I'm just kidding.. My first bike was a Katana and I love it due to the fact parts are cheap and it seams easy to maintain. Also like everyone has already said.. You know these bikes.. That is a great +.. Good Luck with whatever one you decide to get.
                          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

We're biased so of course you should get him a Kat.

But seriously, I don't know what the prices are like where you are but what about a Vstrom? liquid cooled and fuel injected. Also easy to maintain, great fuel economy and plenty of aftermarket stuff.
                            2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I'd choose the newer Kat. Reliable, more comfortable, newbie friendly, and less likely to be beat on. Cant know how much hot-rod beating the GSXR or any super-sport bike that old has had.
                              sigpic
                              Currant Toys...
                              '02 Suzuki GSX750F
                              '74 Yamaha MX360
                              '69 Camaro

Comment

Working...
                              X