X

Tires and Swingarms discussion moved outta pics thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True...
    If its any thing like my local drag strip policy, as long a there is "A Muffler" no matter how crappy of noise level it reduces then it qualifies as legal. That goes for the streets too I believe. If you've ever seen the inside of a Glass Pack Muffler for cars which have been around since the 50s or 60s, there isn't much of a baffle. Its usually a perfectly round piece of pipe with serrated holes. As long as there is a obstruction in the pipe, no matter how pathetic, it should be good to go. I would call and ask around to be certain, but if you use a clamp instead of welding you could always swap them out on the fly. I'm assuming if you jet your carbs for full flow/no tips, then adding THE SLIGHTEST of restriction such as a RACE MUFFLER to the mix, it wouldn't really cause any dramatic effects. Maybe some one else will speak up here as I'm no tune expert.
    EDIT: Here is a muffler I would think about.

Last edited by katanarider; 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Yes all true, and I mentioned modding my Katana exhaust for smaller newer salvaged twin mufflers. I found more than a few pairs on ebay.
      I think the greatest obstacle to all my performance auto prep has been not buying a MIG welder. Could have built some custom headers and roll cages back in those days.
      Gotta pull the trigger on that.
      Last edited by buffalobill; 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I asked this question on my engine thread: link
        Maybe I should have posted it here.
        With a 5.5 wheel used on a pre 750 swing arm, it's centerline is offset to the brake disc side right, by about 8mm?
        This would give an uneven feel for turning right and left, getting more pronounced at higher lean angles, right?

Comment

This is actual

Ok, I uploaded a 88-92? gsxr 5.5 wheel with 190/50 Shinko into my 1990 Katana swingarm.

Measured 9" across at first and I needed another half inch to get the caliper in there, so I pushed it out to 10.5".

OK This Will Work!

The 190 is actually 195 wide, with 7mm clearance on the right.

Only 4mm clearance on the left

I want to get a 180/55 in there, 170/60 acceptable.
          The brake arm will need to be kinked out 5-10mm, and a longer axle bolt would be a good idea too.
          Last edited by buffalobill; 11-25-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Huh couldn't this misalign the Tyre and cause it to become crooked / offset?

Edit, I'm stupid and didn't read the entire thread.
            Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
            The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Well this swingarm was made for an 89 gsxr750 track bike, real class.
              My work is so crude, but my Kat swingarm could use some similar bracing, probably on the underside so it don't conflict with the brake arm.

Here's a nice 1100 swap and build from just a couple years ago: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130021
              He does jump past all the engine clearance issues, but the swingarm bracing is nice.

Comment

I plan on doing that to a YZF swing arm. It's pretty damn close to a Kat swing arm but, 4.5" wheel
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm thinking that if this bracing is done in steel and welded to the steel Kat swingarm it can and should be done with much smaller tubing.

Comment

Mod the RF600 armless caliper to it, no more interference.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks, that took me down an interesting path, like what never happened to the RF line?
                      Some people loved their looks, but some hated them? It must have been a test replacement for the Katana line and got bad reactions, but they could have been restyled. The engines were next generation gsxr?
                      I always include those in my old bike searches, but they are getting rare.

The fact is the Kat brake arm can easily be connected to swingarm bracing.

Comment

Looks like the chain has to be separated and fed through his bracing.
                        Must be true for all swingarm bracing.

Comment

If it was me, I'd do the following...

Pre 750 swingarm to start with.

Modify it by widening the arms with the cut/weld method to kick them out quickly for tire clearance.

Remove the brake arm mount.

Weld on a metal slot for use of a RF600/900 armless setup.

Widen the axle slots to 20mm on the swingarm.

Use the caliper bracket and caliper for the RF and spacers from a RF or GSXR for 20mm axle.

Add some bracing on the bottom side of the swingarm 1-1.5" drop from swingarm bottom edge.

Krey

Fixed the pics for the RF600 caliper brackets.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Krey
                          Last edited by Kreylyn; 11-28-2015, 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So I haven't read about anybody swapping in a gsxr swingarm.
                            They don't fit?

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                              So I haven't read about anybody swapping in a gsxr swingarm.
                              They don't fit?
                              Fixed the pics in fitment of a wider tire thread... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104600

As for your question... there are peeps who have done it. The problems you run into are going to be...

Subframe clearance. Most who had done the GSXR swingarms have been fighters with significant modifications to the subframe and rear sets.

OR...

They have found that the swingarm + linkage + frame mounting doesn 't give you a very good geometry for the suspension, and it rides like crap.

To simplify on that... if you change just the links ... your changing the leverage on the shock and how it works. Add in changing the mounting points of the linkage/cushion to the swingarm and frame, and you start making some seriously complicated calculations for setting up the suspension so that you have it working right. It can (and has... ) quickly escalated into some serious mods suddently... stopping. AT that point.

Let me see if I can find the last major mod thread like that...

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey your thread: Fitting a Wider Tire, is very good, much better with pics.
                                I downloaded your pic of the swingarm mod and I think I see how you did it; by only cutting 3 sides of the square tube and bending it out a mite, then welding it up.
                                Needs careful measuring to set it up, and a precise jig to hold it before welding.
                                Very good simple mod.

I was already gonna practice this cut and weld technique so I can use it to raise my mufflers some. When I get good at it, I'll do this too.
                                Last edited by buffalobill; 11-29-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X