X

Help finding a proper suit.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't commenting on you personally, just don't understand why someone would do that.
    TS wants a one piece suit so my guess is neither would he.
    I have been riding with jeans and jacket for...umm, close to 30 years now. gotta say, it kind of irritates me when I have riders that are younger than the amount of years I have been riding, preaching about how stupid it is to ride without dressing up like a moto gp racer. I am not saying this is the case with you because I have no idea how old you are, but I have heard it enough.

the way I see it, to each his own. myself, I feel perfectly safe out riding in jeans, a good pair of boots, and a leather jacket. I also feel safe in a t-shirt. and here is one that will make all your skin crawl....when I visit New Hampshire and cruising on some nice quiet back roads, my helmet has often been hook on the grab bar and I am wearing nothing buy my shades.

for sure I am conscious of "safety", so I just ride accordingly. got a question though....when did people start getting so frickin' soft? not just with riding, but pretty much everything. I tell ya, if I am riding and meet up with some young kid in a 1pc leather racing suit, and he comments on my jacket and jeans, I will probably just laugh in his face and call him gay, because to be honest, that is how I see a 1pc suit for street use. why gay? because it has no be for NO other reason than appearance, and if you ride while trying to keep up with appearances, that is gay in my book. a 1pc suit has absolutely NO practical advantage over a good 2pc, and the the benefits of a 2pc far outweigh a 1pc, like being able to take your damn jacket off when you stop to eat, or not have to drag the top part through pizz on the floor when you need to stop for a dump somewhere.

really, it's gay. save your 1pc for the track where "looking cool" is part of the game. again, I am not saying this to anyone specifically....it's just a general comment. I have a really nice 2pc all black suit, with armor. it retails for about $700 up here...got it for $150. $75 for the jacket at an end of season clearance, and $75 for the pants a year later at the motorcycle show. paying $500 or more for a suit....never. don't be lazy...shop around, be patient.

but the most important thing about suits....stfu when it comes to other's choices concerning them. again, I am stating this in general. many riders have been riding longer than these suits have even been on the market, and feel no need to follow the "hype". if you are some noob who is fearful of riding, then wear your suit.

anyway, same ol' bullsh*t debate since the days of katana planet. I am not against suits, and wear mine when I feel it is appropriate, but damn, I hate suit wearers who preach it like the gospel. stating you always wear it is fine, judging those who don't is being a d*ck, simple as that. and for the record, if you are going to own a 1pc, at least own a gixxer or something along those lines. all decked out in a 1pc on a katana....well some might see that a bit more as a fashion statement than being practical.

btw, Wyatt and Billy would think us all gay for wearing suits. if you have no idea who Wyatt and Billy are, then you have no business preaching anything when it comes to riding :
    Last edited by Mojoe; 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

This is the $200 suit from Jackets4Bikes.com - I highly recommend getting yourself measured first. The suit feels just fine and works well with the Alpinestars boots i'm rocking. If you're on a college student budget, they're great. I am happy with the armor and thickness of the leather. Jacket was early bday gift from the GF. Zips in two pieces, I've ridden both ways, they just need a little breaking in. Walk around in them for a day and they'll feel much better. For $199 I definitely got my money's worth. I just wish i'd thought of the fact that i no longer have ANY pockets at all, and I feel like in a crash I'd walk away without becoming the sausage creature.

Just a few pics for reference of IRL item.
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Why would you skip the pants though? Compensate protection just to look good?
        here are a few reasons:

1) going to work and don't want to have to change when you get there....and have to wash your nutsack because of the sweat.

2) going out for supper with a hot chick, and don't want to sit in a restaurant with leather pants, and a sweaty nutsack.

3) going to that hot chick's apartment after supper, and will probably have a btter chance at getting a bj, if it wasn't for the sweaty nutsack.

4) going to a job interview, and want to look presentable, not like you are about to hit the track after the interview.

5) going to a funeral...pretty much like the job interview.

I could go on...but I won't. instead I will ask, don't you use your bike for more than just "riding"? don't you ever go anywhere with your bike where a full leather suit is inappropriate ot just a pain in the arse? if not, well what kind of rider are you? don't use your bike for more than just pleasure riding?

Comment

I am sort of with mojoe in that I ride in Jeans and jacket most of the time. I do ride with a lid on all the time but that is more to do with all my concussions and I don't want debris hitting me in the face.

That said there is value in a suit at the right time and place. For street I would only use my 2 piece for the simplicity of being able to remove the jacket when stopped
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            here are a few reasons:

1) going to work and don't want to have to change when you get there....and have to wash your nutsack because of the sweat.

2) going out for supper with a hot chick, and don't want to sit in a restaurant with leather pants, and a sweaty nutsack.

3) going to that hot chick's apartment after supper, and will probably have a btter chance at getting a bj, if it wasn't for the sweaty nutsack.

4) going to a job interview, and want to look presentable, not like you are about to hit the track after the interview.

5) going to a funeral...pretty much like the job interview.

I could go on...but I won't. instead I will ask, don't you use your bike for more than just "riding"? don't you ever go anywhere with your bike where a full leather suit is inappropriate ot just a pain in the arse? if not, well what kind of rider are you? don't use your bike for more than just pleasure riding?
            I use my bike every single day. And every single day I get in full gear. If it's for 15min or 3hrs, that doesn't change a thing. But that's my opinion. And that's exactly what I vented earlier: my opinion. And yes, when the occasion calls for other clothing (like a funeral or a wedding) I dress up and take the car.
            A 1pc leather suit, how gay it may look to you, is always better than a jeans and jacket in my book, but again, that's my opinion. I have my reasons to think and talk like that and I stick by them.
            If you feel like sacrificing your personal protection because you fear a sweaty nutsack, that's your choice. I have no doubt that all your 30yrs of experience will have a say when you're in the hospital having jeans fiber removed from your legs with a tweezer, but at least you'll have a well ventilated nutsack.
            But hey, to each his own. Right?
            Don't mean to get to you in any way, just pointing out that opinions differ sometimes. And in this case ours differ.
            Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on you personally, just don't understand why someone would do that.
              TS wants a one piece suit so my guess is neither would he.
              Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
              I am sort of with mojoe in that I ride in Jeans and jacket most of the time. I do ride with a lid on all the time but that is more to do with all my concussions and I don't want debris hitting me in the face.

That said there is value in a suit at the right time and place. For street I would only use my 2 piece for the simplicity of being able to remove the jacket when stopped
              Re: sweaty nutsack: if you bought a suit with enough vents that wouldnt be the case.

I use both pieces of my suit daily; i ride the freeway and scary asiandriver cagers are all over my route. The 1pc is more comfortable for me whilst riding, but I'm probably going to get some Alpinestars or Joe rocket jeans at some point.
              Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
              Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
              2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

I have a fully perfed two piece and still have sweaty balls a leather will always restrict airflow more then just about any other type of gear our non gear... Baby powder helps but won't help with the ladies at the end of the night..... I an married now so no worries about that. Ha ha. Just an excuse to double up in shower

Comment

Back to the subject, how goes the suit search?
                  Kyle

Comment

Oh its going, I wont have funds for another few months, I was told a suit and new helmet would be a "perfect birthday/graduation present".

As for getting out to ohio to try some on, thats going to be schedule dependent, and I can tell you I wont have much time for the next few weeks.

Still, I appreciate all the help and will certainly post pictures when that glorious day arrives.

-Sweaty balls-

Comment

If you plan to make a run to the I.P. sometime this season let me know Ed. I need to run up there for the exact same reason.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I use my bike every single day. And every single day I get in full gear. If it's for 15min or 3hrs, that doesn't change a thing. But that's my opinion. And that's exactly what I vented earlier: my opinion. And yes, when the occasion calls for other clothing (like a funeral or a wedding) I dress up and take the car.
                        A 1pc leather suit, how gay it may look to you, is always better than a jeans and jacket in my book, but again, that's my opinion. I have my reasons to think and talk like that and I stick by them.
                        If you feel like sacrificing your personal protection because you fear a sweaty nutsack, that's your choice. I have no doubt that all your 30yrs of experience will have a say when you're in the hospital having jeans fiber removed from your legs with a tweezer, but at least you'll have a well ventilated nutsack.
                        But hey, to each his own. Right?
                        Don't mean to get to you in any way, just pointing out that opinions differ sometimes. And in this case ours differ.
                        I guess you missed my point, so let me put it another way....

I have no problem with someone if they wear gear all the time. in fact, it would be kind of stupid if I did, seeing as it's just the opposite of being dangerous.

what I do have a problem with is the undertones and little comments like "I can't understand why someone would not ride with full gear". here's the thing....you don't have to understand because it simply is none of your business. people who make those judgements...well hell, I put them in the same boat as the politicians running for election in the US right now....you know, the ones who trying to tell you that you can't have sex for pleasure because it is evil, so they are trying to do away with birth control and force you to get married, and even then you can only f*ck if you plan on having kids. I call those retards, extremist idiots. so not to be insulting or anything, but it is my opinion that those whose opinions are that everyone should be wearing full gear, all of the time, are pretty much the same.

both situations are the same.......it's none of your business who I want to f*ck, when I want to f*ck, and how I want to f*ck.....and how I dress to ride my bike is the same.

is that clearer?

btw, I am not aiming that directly at you. it goes for anyone who feel they righteous enough to judge everyone else.

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
                        Re: sweaty nutsack: if you bought a suit with enough vents that wouldnt be the case.
                        if you are trying to say that you can ride 4 or 5 hours in leather pants and not suffer sweaty nutsack syndrome, them I have to call BS. only way you are avoiding that is if you don't have a sack to begin with.

besides, those vents work for sh*t unless you are moving, and even then you pretty much have to be standing up to focus the wind on your nether regions.

come to think of it, I don't believe I ever seen a suit with venting in the nutsack region.

anyway....my bad for the hijack. I know this thread is about advice on a new suit, and that's cool. I have no problem with that. I just wish to hell that each time a thread like this starts, that those who wear their suits religiously could just refrain from mentioning how they don't understand those who don't. like I said...you don't need to understand because it really doesn't concern you. besides, we as riders get enough slack from those who are against motorcycles, and see them as death on two wheels. we have enough to deal with when it comes to them, and lawmakers and everyone else who want to interfere with our sport, so the last thing we need is fellow riders pitting against each other just because we don't all "dress to ride" in the same fashion you would choose.

riding is about freedom, man.....and part of that freedom is cruising down the road in jeans and a t-shirt, if that is what we choose to do, which was quite common before "*****isim" infected most of North America. you know what *****isim is, right? it's that disease that made everyone deem it unacceptable to ride a bicycle without a helmet, or not let your little kids play in the dirt because they might eat some, and how everyone tells their kid that it's ok to be a fat lazy little bast*rd who sits in front of the tv all the time because he or she is really special....or any one of another 1000 reasons why most people are just plain soft.
                        Last edited by Mojoe; 03-14-2012, 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                          what I do have a problem with is the undertones and little comments like "I can't understand why someone would not ride with full gear". here's the thing....you don't have to understand because it simply is none of your business. people who make those judgements...well hell, I put them in the same boat as the politicians running for election in the US right now....you know, the ones who trying to tell you that you can't have sex for pleasure because it is evil, so they are trying to do away with birth control and force you to get married, and even then you can only f*ck if you plan on having kids. I call those retards, extremist idiots. so not to be insulting or anything, but it is my opinion that those whose opinions are that everyone should be wearing full gear, all of the time, are pretty much the same.

both situations are the same.......it's none of your business who I want to f*ck, when I want to f*ck, and how I want to f*ck.....and how I dress to ride my bike is the same.

is that clearer?

btw, I am not aiming that directly at you. it goes for anyone who feel they righteous enough to judge everyone else.
                          That is clearer yeah. It was my intention to learn other opinions, not trying to force mine onto others (and no undertone was intended). I apologise if it came across that way. English is only my forth language and the undertones might be somewhat different from what I'm used to every day. I'll try to take that into consideration more in the future.

So to end with a pleasant tone : everyone is free to f*ck as they please, with or without a sweaty nutsack.
                          Last edited by ErrEs; 03-14-2012, 04:08 AM.
                          Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

I acutally sometimes wear my pants with a textile jacket when it's REALLY warm.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

actually yes you can ride 5-6 hours without suffering from the deadly sweatynutsack. I did all day Saturday up and down GMR and over Glendora Ridge Road or whathaveyou--

I think everyone can dress as they see fit, I just feel that I dress appropriately for the threats on the road i deal with daily.

absolutely, yes, riding is about freedom, but your level of comfort with your margin of safety leaves your choice of attire entirely up to you.

I wear the pants to work and change when I get here, because if I wreck, my legs are just as likely to get turned into bacon as my upper body.

RE: nutsack venting
                              Not necessarily vents per-se, more like more breathable material used in that region. The SHIFT karting suit and OMP shifterkart suit I have both have something like that, and my leathers appear to have some kind of breathable material used on the crotch that's not leather.

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
                                actually yes you can ride 5-6 hours without suffering from the deadly sweatynutsack. I did all day Saturday up and down GMR and over Glendora Ridge Road or whathaveyou--
                                Then you dont have sweat glands down there or it was a chilly day...

RE: nutsack venting
                                Not necessarily vents per-se, more like more breathable material used in that region. The SHIFT karting suit and OMP shifterkart suit I have both have something like that, and my leathers appear to have some kind of breathable material used on the crotch that's not leather.
                                My pants have full nylong stretch fabric in this area that breathes well. Though you must ride standing up or something as my nether regions are against the tank and do not breathe in that area per say and as such sweat ensues. You can have all the venting in that area possible but unless you have channels built into the suit to send air from elsewhere you will not get nearly enough flow there to cool

Wear full gear is great for you. I can deal with a bit of rash in the offchance I go down to be comfortable and not have to change to get wherever I go. I could not imagine riding to the mall or to a movie and walking around the location with a leather suit on. Just seems outlandish to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X