X

Cleaning Headers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Headers

I want to know if I would be able to clean my exhaust headers using only some Ajax and some steel wool; or what type of polish should I buy.

Im trying to install some Street Fx led lights on my lower fairings for my bike and I want to illuminate the headers on my bike. I have a buddy of mine that did the same thing on his R6, and it makes his look as if his headers are glowing red hot. So far I only have 4 led's for my rear tire and 2 led's in the front below the insterment panel.

I'll post some pix up when I'm done.

The right way to do this would be to bead-blast and ceramic coat the headers in silver (or get them nickel plated).

The problem is that most motorcycle headers are made of mild steel; if you take away the coating (paint or whatever else is there), the steel will start rusting in very very short order. Thus, instead of removing, what you'd want to do is add a layer of something that makes the header quite reflective.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree with Cyber. They make some nice ultra-high temperature exhaust manifold paints in a variety of colors.

You'll want to scuff up the surface of the existing coating (not remove it, just scuff it up) before you start spraying. Most people use sandpaper, however I can tell you that would be a big pain. You'd be wise to use a red Scotchbrite pad... buy a few. They come in handy.

Don't use any primer or clearcoat (uness specifically instructed to by the directions on the can of whatever product you decide on.)
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info... I might look foward to doing that in the near future. Well I just finished installing all of my led's and I take a pix later on tonight when it gets darker, then I'll post some up.

Comment

Working...
        X