X

3rd Suzuki...First Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Suzuki...First Katana

So....I've owned many bikes in my 40 years of riding.
    Started with a wee Honda 50 when I was 4 & worked my way up through dirt bikes.
    The 3 Suziki's that I've owned are:
    An early 80's GS850 that I didn't ride hardly at all because it was sitting next to...
    2006 Boulevard M109R that I rode most anywhere.
    Now I have recently picked up a GSX 1100F and I'm still getting used to having a sport bike.

The electric windscreen even still works on this bike. less than 17K miles on it. My 109 had 26K miles in 5 years of riding....

Things that I like about this bike so far:
    It handles quite nicely.
    It has plenty of speed, but not so much that I feel like I'm some sort of hot rod.
    The seat. I've ridden a few sport bikes (never owned one before) in my time and this seat is far and away more comfy than any other sport bike that I've thrown a leg over!

Things that I dislike:
    Handlebars....They're just too damned low for a 44 year old man. Guess that I'll need some helibars or some other form of riser. (Any suggestions?)
    Mirrors, definitely going with bar end mirrors. I don't think that only seeing my elbows is all that safe.

I really wish that the weather would be a little more cooperative. Every time that I've had free time to ride, it's either been raining or so cold that the thought of hopping on the bike is absurd.

Anyway, it's nice to find a forum with active members for a bike model like the Katana. I look forward to doing some exploring of threads on here.
    Also, yes, I also know how to use the search bar before starting yet ANOTHER repeated thread.

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome!
      FYI, technically Kats are sport-touring bikes, not sport bikes. Is your seat stock, or a Corbin/Sargent?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ctatyk and congratulations on your great purchase. I'm a little older than you are and I must agree, the Kat seat is fantastic, but those low bars are hard to deal with. I did find a set of handlebar risers for our Kat, but they were just too expensive at $350 plus.
        2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
        2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
        1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
        1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
        1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              Welcome!
              FYI, technically Kats are sport-touring bikes, not sport bikes. Is your seat stock, or a Corbin/Sargent?
              Well, I guess the full set of Givi luggage that came on mine is more logical. Locking trunk & saddlebags. They'll be great for when I do some traveling and the bike still looks great with them off.

It's the stock seat. But it's as comfy as the seat was on my '75 Honda CB750F. It's actually more comfy than the seat on my M109R was.

As for handlebars/risers, I know a few machinists who might be able to help me out in that respect. I'll look around to see if i can find something that isn't $350, but if I can't, I'll definitely have them made. Scrap metal is pretty easy for them to get their hands on.

Thank you all for the welcome.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Some very good gsx1100 help here. Welcome.

Comment

Cable length is the only concern on raising your bars up. I bought stainless steel brake and clutch lines that were 3 inches over length just for the day when I can raise my bars up.
                  2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                  2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                  1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                  1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Welcome to KR. Alot of good reading here
                    2000 Kat 600

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
                      Cable length is the only concern on raising your bars up. I bought stainless steel brake and clutch lines that were 3 inches over length just for the day when I can raise my bars up.
                      That's good advice. Thanks for the reminder because I'd have probably been bummed when the time came to install everything & I need longer cable/lines.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                        Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                        X